Thursday 28 August 2008

Musing



The desire to create new lands is upon me. Although,like Stokes, I am busy at the commencement of another academic year I still feel stimulated to think of lands far away and armies ( small and leaden ) marching through them in 18th century panoply.

I now realise that my attempts at very detailed map making earlier this summer was too ambitious- I floundered in a mire of my less than perfect draughtsmanship...

Often of an evening I have little energy for the hobby yet one is always thinking of new projects, new lands to explore,populate and raise forces for. Considerations of a budgeting nature too are upon all of us. Perhaps the time is right to plan, make lists and compile a plan of action...

I loved Switzerland when I first encountered it on a few family holidays. Names like Elastolin came into my sphere of vision and helped fuel the toy soldier bug. But most of all it was the landscape ...

So I am renewing my acquaintance with Swiss history, recalling scraps of military organisation,filling in quiet gaps of ignorance and having some quiet fun. Who knows where it may lead?

No comments:

Post a Comment