Saturday 18 August 2018

Battle of Hook’s Farm part one

Farmer Hook woke up,yawned and opened the curtains and looked out. To his surprise the Danish Army were still there. Furtively he placed the telescope to his eye and noted as follows- mainly infantry,a few jäger,cavalry and a cannon. Hurriedly the farmer scribbled a note ,gave it to his son and told him to deliver it to the Tradgardland general. The boy left and the farmer thought of what he would do with the coins he had just earned...


The situation a few hours later. The farmer has locked himself and his family in the farm cellar for safety,the Danish Army climbs the hill to take positions around the farm and Firefly church. End of turn one.


The woods on the left flank are occupied by the Danish jägers,they have sustained casualties in the process. Hook’s farm is the scene of heavy fighting and melees occur on the right flank. End of turn two.

11 comments:

  1. Great looking version of a Classic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just have to feel for Farmer Hook. Just what is it about his farm? Any ideas, anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maudlin Jack Tar puts it perfectly! I feel an irresistible desire to create a similar gameboard for myself, as I never tire of this simple, classic scenario.
    Could Farmer Hook be a distant relative of Private Henry Hook VC of Rorkes Drift fame?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have this set up for my ‘modern’ games. I’m afraid Farmer Hook has had to become a refugee as the Halbardiers and Bratwursters regiments have seriously knocked the area around in their effort to capture this prime strategic target. Is there anywhere safer they can go to kill each other?

      Delete
    2. Stephen, can you tell us a little more about your games? Figures,scale ,terrain if possible. Thanks.

      Delete
  4. Tradgardmastare,

    This looks very interesting, and I look forward to seeing how this famous battle turns out.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Turned out to be inconclusive with both sides withdrawing, much to the farmer’s relief.

      Delete
  5. Bob Cordery was very kind to publish some pictures of my games on his blog.

    http://wargamingmiscellany.blogspot.com/2017/11/other-peoples-portable-wargames-some-of.html

    Bob has taken me to task for not writing my own blog but I (a) have nothing major to contribute and (b) have no time! I am an aficionado of simple, fun games like PW or even OHW and for some perverse reason (I forget-going blind?) use 54mm models. I am looking forward to the rest of your battle report.

    ReplyDelete