Monday 25 May 2020

The search for scenarios- truth is stranger than fiction

I was at my books  over the stormy weekend browsing away looking for an engaging scenario to play. I am a great one for imagineering but sometimes you come across a piece of history that really gets you hooked. Anyway I was looking at Christopher Duffy’s book-
A splendid read by the way. I recalled something I had read ages ago about an Austrian renegade in Prussian service. I found the passage and was fascinated. His name was Gottfried Fabian Haube aka Carl Adolph Von Rexin .  He negotiated with the Turks on behalf of Frederick the Great, giving them bribes, Nuremberg dolls and the promise of returning the Banat of Temesvr to them. He completed a trade and friendship treaty between Turkey and Prussia in 1761. 
Meanwhile Frederick entertained someone from the Khanate of the Crimean Tartars and sent one of his officers back to see if the Tartars could be encouraged to fight against the Russians and Austrians.
A plan was hatched where a Prussian Corps would rendezvous with six thousand Tartars and “push south to the Danube.”
They would be commanded by another Austrian renegade Lt Gen Paul Werner. April 1762 saw him setting out to join the Turks...
 What a tale eh? Yesterday also saw me finally finding the Eric Knowles Tartars I had been working on before lockdown, which was most fortuitous. So the plan is to have a few games around what might have happened. It is an excuse to fight something different with unusual opponents taking centre stage. The history has more fascinating byways to share in this story but that’s for another day...


15 comments:

  1. Hi Alan- What is the saying: "Truth is stranger than Fiction".

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Duffy book sounds very good - happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anything by the author is a must read if you are interested in the 18th century.

      Delete
  3. Hi Alan - might I suggest a look at the Fife and Drum Forum. Mainly 18th century but includes imagi-nations and bits of everything. All very friendly.
    Ronnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alan, I should probably have said that it's Ronnie from the old Sealed Knot days. Thought it was time to stop lurking and say hello!
    Ronnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ronnie, great to have you here, have you been lurking long? What do you game ? Small world eh?
      Alan

      Delete
  5. A long time! I tried to post before but my phone kept playing up. Retired and living near Dunfermline. Maybe coffee and a chat about wargames and garden railways after lockdown?
    R

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great!
    And the answer to your question is 1745 rebellion.
    Ronnie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Crann Tara figures with a few dozen first generation Front Rank which I'd had painted for me many years ago and are too good not to use. Working on my own rules which are very Featherstonian because (a) I'm simple and (b) can't be bothered wading through modern sets. All at an early stage. But hoping to have lots of period flavour. The Dice Activated Moral and Movement Initiative Test will reflect the unpredictable behaviour of units in the conflict. For example, on the throw of a dice a unit, originally designated as elite, within charging distance of a clan,may spend the rest of the game with the characteristics of a militia unit who similarly could be "promoted" to line status or just run away. At which point you might shout "DAMMIT".
    Ronnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds really interesting.I am all for simple rules.Back burner project is 40mm 1719 rebellion.

      Delete
  8. Lots in common then!
    Obviously I meant to say "Morale".
    As well you're not still teaching.
    Ronnie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mr LORENZO DIEGO LOAN FIRM FINANCE IS THE BEST PLACE TO GET A LOAN {mrlorenzodiegoloanfirm@outlook.com},
    God bless you sir, I will not stop telling the world about your kindness in my life, I am a single mum with kids to look after. My name is Emily Peterson and I am from Convention Center Drive, Miami Beach, FL. A couple of weeks ago My friend visited me and along with our discussion she told me about MR LORENZO DIEGO LOAN FIRM FINANCE, that they can help me out of my financial situation, I never believed cause I have spent so much money on different loan lenders who did nothing other than running away with my money. I have been in a financial mess for the pass 7 months now, She advised I give it a try so I mailed him and explain all about my financial situation to him, he therefore took me through the loan process and gave me a loan of $390,000.00 at a very low interest rate of 2% and today I am a proud business owner and can now take good care of my kids, If you must contact any firm to get any amount of loan you need with a low interest rate of 2% and better repayment schedule, please contact MR LORENZO DIEGO LOAN FIRM FINANCE email:- {mrlorenzodiegoloanfirm@outlook.com}

    ReplyDelete