Sunday 8 February 2015

Updates

This post will be brief as I am very tired- last three nights in bed by 9pm!
My eldest, Zoe, was 21 last weekend and we all enjoyed a celebration lunch at the Glasshouse restaurant in St Andrews as well as a look around the town.I cannot believe how time has flown and she is that age.
I am entering my last week at the place where I have worked for the past 17 and a half years.It is a time of excitement re the future and sadness leaving a community I know well.I start  my new job a week tomorrow.More anon.
Little progress on the hobby front- lost out on some semi flats on ebay on Friday which I suppose, if I am honest, I did not really,really need but would have liked. I have been doing a little painting/converting on some staff figures for Counterpania and thinking a little about scratchbuilding some semi-round vehicles.No time/energy to game despite my best of intentions.
Last year at school we had two excellent native speakers going round the classes teaching Spanish.I ,a complete novice ,became a learner alongside the pupils. A seed was sown and I have been attending a weekly class for teachers in Spanish ever since the summer  after school. It ( not to mention the excellent teacher and convivial fellow learners) has helped keep me sane this academic year. As a result I have brushed off my interest in Spanish military history.
I have two armies for the 1898 Spanish American War in 15mm having assembled them for a demo game at Claymore of El Caney in the late 1980s.I am going to use them with Bob's "When Empires clash" which I got as an anniversary present. I also purchased Songs of Drums and Tomahawks which I would like to use with fellows like these-
More on this and other matters anon.Thanks for your blogs which continue to provide me with great interest and pleasure- a good way to start the day over coffee before getting the train.Paperwork calls me now... Have a good Sunday!

8 comments:

  1. Best wishes to you as you change employment . . . may you find your new job challenging and enjoyable.


    -- Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the new job.

    Cheers, Ross

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tradgardmastare,

    Good luck with your new job. To spend that long working in one place shows real commitment, and that you must have enjoyed being there for most of those seventeen and a half years. Nowadays people seem to change the place they work every two or three years in line with a ‘career plan’, but that always seemed to me to be one extra self-imposed pressure that I could do without … and if the results are anything to go by, it doesn’t lead to increased happiness or satisfaction for the individuals involved.

    Look forward … and don’t look back. I have always made a conscious decision not to re-visit places where I used to work because both it and I have moved on … and I don’t want to feel any regrets or disappointments. That is not to say that I lost contact with the friends that I made along the way, but I have never regretted leaving one place of employment to go to another.

    I hope that you will enjoy your new job, and that the change will rekindle your enjoyment in what you do. I hope that it will bring you new challenges without being too challenging … especially during those first few days.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best of luck/buena fortuna for the future!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with your upcoming new job! I've been at my current one for 17 years as well (and expect to be here another 4 or 5 years before retiring).
    Also, congrats to your eldest on her 21st birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with the new job! Changes, even good ones are often times of turbalence.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck with your new job sir, and a belated happy birthday to your eldest. My eldest is 6 - got a while to go until 21 but I'm sure it'll fly by!

    ReplyDelete