Saturday 6 June 2020

Ways in or ways back in

I recently joined a garden railway society. As part of my membership I received a very well produced 115 page basic guide to the hobby. Not too overwhelming but useful inspiring articles and pointers where to go next. This got me thinking of what is there for new wargamers and those returning after many moons away. A way through the woods , through the plethora of blogs, forums,websites and so on. I was then reminded of Sue Laflin-Barker’s book below-
A one stop shop for gamers coming to the ancients period. I had bought it a few years ago and didn’t really give it too much attention. However with lockdown and social distance gaming it has come into its own for it contains a set of rules , guidance on terrain , figures and more. It has enthused me to try Zoom gaming with friends I first gamed with in the eighties and revisit these simple rules.

On the subject of ways in a mention must be given to “Plastic Warrior “ magazine to which I have finally got round to subscribing to. Years ago Brian gave me a few back copies, more recently the editor sent me a sample issue. I have now put my money where my mouth is. It is a really enjoyable read about plastic toy soldiers of all shapes and forms. Do consider supporting the venture which has been going since 1985!

6 comments:

  1. I've never tried DBA (or HotT for that matter) - I'm interested to know how you get on with the rules.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have played them on and off for years. They are playable and fun. The Hott army lists are really inspiring and very wide ranging. I also played hott quite a bit at one time too. If you ever fancy gaming at a club, or with new friends or are moving to a new area the rules are a way ensuring an opponent. I think that they would add to your solo gaming too. My long term opponent plays main stream rules and I don't suggest my more outre rules to him. All in all it works well.

      Delete
  2. Played DBA a lot in the past, the problem is the way it is written - very legalease .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean re the legal style language. It can be off putting but the rules give a good game. In the current set the actual rules are only six or so pages in length, the rest being definitions etc. It is worth persevering. The army lists are useful for the information they provide, further reading and in some cases, suggests fiction to add period flavour to your reading.

      Delete
  3. Interesting that the garden railway publication isn't too overwhelming. I often feel that books showing too beautifully painted figures and terrain can be off putting to a potential wargamer.
    Anyway, Developing The Portable Wargame has just arrived. Looks like fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so agree re books filled with too beautifully made terrain etc. I like the simpler, more stylised approach which The Portable Wargame represents.
      Hope you enjoy your book and I look forward to hearing what you made of it.

      Delete