Friday, 7 August 2026

The sea , the sea

 Had a day out to the sea yesterday with my daughters yesterday. We took a train from Edinburgh to North Berwick, somewhere l think l have only been once or twice ( and that over thirty years ago) since childhood. We arrived during their “ Fringe by the Sea” which added to the day.



Charming building on the walk from the station.
There were a number of these about.
An excellent coffee shop .   https://www.steampunkcoffee.co.uk/


The view from the cofffee shop .
I really liked these dotted around the town
The sea, the sea , the beach and some characterful houses.

There were loads of little gardens, plus bigger ones, planted up with themes and signage.
The harbour at low tide.
A most enjoyable lunch. https://lobstershack.co.uk/
Splendid view across the sea 
The coloured doors are a remnant of the Lido which opened in 1900 and closed in 1995.
More views and evocative signage showing something of the history of the place.




A pool for paddling possibly swimming. A couple of boys had boats and we were treated to an excellent display of stone skimming.
A photo, in a shop window, of the Lido in its heyday.

We were in loads of excellent shops, selling very tempting prints plus an Open Studio but all l bought was this magazine from 1960 . I was taken by the cover. I look forward to seeing the contents later today.

Needless to say l am totally bowled over by the town and wondered why on Earth I haven’t been before now. I will remedy that by returning very soon…

8 comments:

  1. Excellent final photo of a snowball fight waiting to happen? (Plus trains)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There’s a plan…
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful day out Alan. It looks like there's a big difference between the tides.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lovely place to visit and not far away at all really. The tide thing fascinates me too.
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete
  3. Looks like a grand day out. Now I'm craving some fish and chips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. Go feed that fishy craving…
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete
  4. Looks lovely. Quite close to Max Foy's gaff I believe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Certainly was. I suppose it is…
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete