Friday 31 March 2023

Tray bien or “ of kern and bonnacht is supplied..”

 Here they are, ready, waiting for the postman to deliver their new bases-

They wait patiently on the tray, kern , bonnacht, gallowglass and more. I have to admit to being rather fond of my Old Irish. Perhaps it is the fact they are something different, perhaps the sculpts appeal to me as they are full of character, perhaps it is the combination of some old figures l have had for years with some new recruits. It is probably all this and more. I do like the Chief and his chaplain, in the centre of the photo above. They are on the fringes of renaissance things., in many ways a million miles in tone from urban, forward thinking renaissance Europe. They stand looking back and forward simultaneously.
My eldest picked up a bag of flock for me in a sale somewhere, sometime. She has done the same with random Osprey books . I kept the flock for years knowing it would come in handy one day. It certainly has as l am going for a look similar to the one P’s army was given thirty plus years ago, only deviation is I am going with mdf he still uses beer mats etc. Win or lose l know I will still love these guys. Little lead men who fight better for us if we have invested ourselves in their painting and basing.
In other news l am trying to read round seventh century Saxon history especially the East Anglians. I am a sucker for the Vendel look. I discovered “The Orville “ on Disney + and am working my way through it. Can’t quite work out what it is trying to be but it is terrific fun. 


4 comments:

  1. The joys of Flocking and Basing. I hope you stick with The Orville, at first it is human interest / crew dynamics and ethical dilemma / comedy version pastiche of Star Trek - good fun - but then in the late First Series early Second Series it turns interestingly darker. One of the producers Jon Favreau also worked on The Mandalorian

    The Battlestar Galactica grungy 2000s reboot is also back on BBC Iplayer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just started Series Two of The Orville, most interesting. Certainly will stick with it…
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete
  2. The Old Irish are an interesting army to field. The distinct clothing adds to the charm. I have some of the Freikorps range, which range are these?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The figures are -
    https://www.timelineminiatures.co.uk/page/border-reivers
    I think the distinctive clothing is a big attraction too.
    I have Spanish and American armies by Freikorps for the Spanish American War of 1898. They make great figures.
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete