Wednesday 17 July 2024

Copper

 Work on these hollow casts today and contemplating what flesh tones to use. Take for example these -


They came with copper coloured skin . I then painted these two as an experiment-


I used bronze for the left figure over a brown undercoat and didn’t add bronze for the figure on the right. Not really happy with either particularly. I prefer the copper of the first figure. As they are toys I feel no need to agonise over authenticity. So over to you , thoughts please…

7 comments:

  1. I always use earth red, gives a nice copper color without the metallic hue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s my choice for Native American skin tones too but skin tones vary significantly.

      Delete
  2. The copper coloured originals look good but I quite like the bronze one as well, good call on the earth red, could be the answer right there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marvellous figures!
    I agree with you, the originals look great with that bit of copper providing a sheen to the skin which people have in real life (even though you are not chasing verisimilitude).
    I'd suggest a light dry brush or wash of a reddy-brown on your left hand figure will look quite a bit like the originals. I have had fun in recent times using Paynes' grey as a base and adding skin tone and brown to make various shades from olive complexion to darker.
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do like the alternative darker copper or bronze tones. It matches the colourful gloss cowboys. One alternative is to use a Revell Acrylic light brown and then gloss varnish as i did here with your AIP Woodland Indians https://manoftinblog.wordpress.com/2020/08/14/armies-in-plastic-54mm-woodland-indians-painted-and-out-in-the-wild/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Man of TIN says: Revell Aquacolour Acrylic Gloss Leather Brown paint

      Delete
  5. The originals seem to have been painted with a almost metallic copper paint .

    ReplyDelete