Monday 27 May 2024

Back 3 - Barbican

 After lunch in the British Museum l took Anna to see some iconic exhibits- the Sutton Hoo material, the Lewis Chess pieces and the Standard of Ur etc. Braving the rain ( again) we walked to the Barbican which was fascinating inside and out. I hadn’t been for numerous years and it was Anna’s first visit.

Interesting design on a building en route.
The Barbican looking great.
The 
Juxtaposition of the old and the new.
Wonderful use of water so enhanced the complex.
Tuesday and Wednesday were so rainy it was a tad disheartening. The main reason for going to London was to go to the Chelsea Flower Show. It was something Jan and I watched on tv (had hoped to go to one day but never got round to it) every year and the girls grew up watching it too. So at Christmas we got tickets as presents and with mounting excitement anticipated the show. It would be a first visit for both Anna and I. 
Thursday morning dawned, Chelsea Day, and imagine my pleasure as l looked out of my hotel bedroom at 06:00 am and saw dry pavements! We were so fortunate.


4 comments:

  1. Don't know why, but one of my favourite places in London is the Assyrian Gallery... could have something to do with liking Assyrians.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Might be, I think you are on to something..
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete
  2. Next time that you and Anna are passing through the Barbican, knowing how much Anna and you like Botanic Gardens, there is a curious small Barbican Conservatory / Greenhouse / Botanic Garden with birds and fish. My Dad took me there in the late 80s early 90s when he was working on some buildings there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must look out for that, thanks for the suggestion.
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete