Sunday 15 November 2020

Recent Recruits

 I have been fortunate to win some eBay bids recently. Here are a few figures I managed to get-

I bought these (along with some useful but not too exciting interwar infantry for Albion and Maple Leaf Country which I haven’t photographed) firstly because I really wanted a Royal Company of Archers figure to be a bodyguard for the Albion Monarch. I had bid unsuccessfully on some quite a few times. Secondly because the figures with axes ( sappers) intrigued me and  would work well in the woods of Maple Leaf Country too. Thirdly the Omdurman period (?) infantryman looked like a well animated and painted toy soldier. I have photographed the bases as I wonder what make they are. Any ideas?



Finally a challenge! These very battered figures will need loads of work before they can fight again. I wondered when I first saw them if they were just too badly damaged. Anyway I will see what I can do over the coming weeks...




 

12 comments:

  1. Some really interesting figures Tradgardmastare. The Sappers are very nice and the Longbow armed guard is new to me - what does he represent?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He represents these Edinburgh based chaps
      https://www.longbow-archers.com/royalcompanyarchers.html

      Delete
    2. Thanks I didn't know about them. Very interesting subject for a toy soldier.

      Delete
    3. I've seen these chaps out practising their archery skills in the Meadows just behind my old office. Given that their average age would be a big set of numbers I would hope that they have a health and safety officer in their ranks. A member of the public demonstrating such arts in the local park would soon attract the attention of some boys in blue.

      Delete
  2. A) the archer is a lovely figure - it looks "new metal" as Stuart Asquith would say -
    At first I thought the base read possibly MJM UK - M J Mode? But many M J Mode seem to have round bases? https://suburbanmilitarism.wordpress.com/tag/m-j-mode/

    Then I read it again and it is M M M UK which is probably Marlborough Military Models? Style fits https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/toy-soldiers-mmm-marlborough-military-131731649

    B) yes - these figures are repairable - esp compared to these which I repaired https://manoftinblog.wordpress.com/2018/05/20/recalled-to-the-colours-54mm-metal-detectorists-toy-soldier-finds-restored-to-fighting-condition/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the identification Mark. I will rise to the challenge !

      Delete
  3. Good haul. Lots of opportunities in that lot of broken corpses but a lot of work too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. A challenge indeed but hopefully worth it...

      Delete
  4. My thoughts exactly Michael re American and Canadian options. I look forward to seeing your naval figures when finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely stuff Allan, perfectly repairable, and the cowboys can be 'adjusted' to represent American irregulars or Canadian partisans. Have started on my second batch of old/broken naval figures supplied by Paul, just applied the paint stripper.
      Michael

      Delete
  5. Some challenging repairs there , will be interested in the results

    ReplyDelete