Wednesday 11 November 2020

Waiting for the dawn and taking stock

 

I seem to wake early these days. I open the blinds, make coffee and listen to the radio and/or use the iPad. It is interesting to just wait for the sun to come up in a quiet house before others rise. A chance for a wee bit reflection prior to the day. One of the things I really enjoyed was the Works Service,it is not as it once was. However I did catch a very moving radio programme about the Unknown Soldier and the events surrounding him. I can’t find a link to it on BBC Sounds but worth looking out for.

The year is rushing by in some ways , in some ways not. The hobby ( coupled with the garden in warmer days) has really helped. The craft like physicality of conversions with vice,knife and wire etc has absorbed more so than just painting. We are fortunate to have the likes of Zoom. I have enjoyed attending a weekly Virtual Wargames Club, saying Compline, gaming with friends and even attending church. Not to mention virtual coffees . These have helped as has walking.

Anyway, here are some hobby goals for the period moving towards the end of the year-

Continue the Army Star Spangled & Army  Maple Leaf Country with Albion painting and researching in both 1870s and early 1930s. This is moving along well and I look forward to hopefully having some games.  Secondly to paint up some 28mm dark ages figures for my regular Zoom weekly game. Probably Picts maybe Romano Britains. Thirdly painting and playing some seasonal games with a light hearted tone to them but which requires some painting and  preparation. Potential Christmas presents from members of the family but chosen by me will add a couple of more projects towards New Year. The sky is lightening as I look up and it is time for more coffee...


10 comments:

  1. I think the change in Fall Back hour still affects me each morning. Weeks later I still wake an hour earlier or at the right time an hour earlier.
    Several documentaries on BBC Sounds Moira Stuart 28 minutes documentary https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/w3csy0yb

    ReplyDelete
  2. The current 15 minute BBc history documentary serial https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000p6gl

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am surprised that the Tomb of and the Journey of the Unknown Warrior including the formal parades has not been featured more by modern Toy Soldier manufacturers like the signing of the Armistice has been https://www.traditionoflondonshop.com/product_info.php?products_id=14821

    This may be your early morning overnight BBC World Service Unknown Warrior documentary 4 minutes long https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06r9ngj

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most helpful Mark, thanks for finding the links for me.

      Delete
  4. Since I retired, I’ve found sleep to be something that is rather variable. Some days I’m wide awake at 6.00am, and on others I have to drag myself out of bed by 9.00am. Likewise, some evenings I’m dog tired by 10.00pm ... and on others I’m still awake at 3.00am.

    Today, the broadcast media seems to be making much of the centenary of the burial of the Unknown Warrior, and there seems to be at least one TV programme about it being transmitted later today.

    I must admit that the lockdown has had some positive aspects, including the growth in use of technology that allows us to meet - and game - online. Like you, it has also given me the impetus to get on with a few projects, and yours seem to be achievable by Christmas.

    Keep safe and keep well,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sleep is such a funny thing. I was fortunate when I worked that I inevitably woke up ten minutes before the alarm was set. I am a morning person and really don’t mind getting up.

      Delete
  5. I'm very much enjoying your Star Spangled/Maple Leaf conversions Tradgardmastare - looking forward to seeing more.
    As a fellow early morning person I agree, it's nice to see the sun coming up, even though I start nodding as soon as it sets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind comments re the conversions, they have been great fun to do.

      Delete
  6. I read your second paragraph and found myself nodding along in agreement. Unlike you I haven’t really taken time for reflection, which I think would be helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am pleased the second paragraph struck a cord with you.

    ReplyDelete