Sunday 19 November 2023

Model Railway Show

 Yesterday I got the 28 bus from Dunfermline to Falkirk. One and a half hours through all airts and pairts of Fife. After that a swop to a 4 and l arrived-

I lived for a year in Falkirk around the mid eighties and have happy memories of the place.
I was here for the model railway show , held in an indoor athletics track,  traders round the sides and exhibits down the centre.
Barriers keep you back from most of the exhibits . I was spoken to only once and then by a woman in the crowd who gave me advice as to how to get the best angle to photograph a waterfall. I wanted to ask the odd question or two but exhibitors were busy sorting trains and I caught no one’s eye. Nobody actively engaged with me.  Mixed crowd compared with a Wargames Show, more woman and children as well as some women exhibiting. Nice toy train set up on a table for children to play with.All that said and done I really enjoyed the show and found the exhibits and trade stands very engaging-
WW2 German munitions trains carrying troops, tanks and equipment.
I liked this night time scene with lovely lit up buildings.
Goathland Station and a “ Heartbeat themed layout. We were challenged to find the characters from the show. Here is one on the bridge below-
Guardbridge near St Andrews  before the line was closed.
The track crosses the river at Guardbridge. You can still see the stone pillars to this day.
0N30 scene with real water. It looked great and must have been something to make.
Another shot, the one suggested by the visitor…
An aerial shot, I was most taken with this layout.
A 1/24 th scale logging/sawmill place. I really liked the semi flat buildings.
A busy nineteenth century American layout with figures from Knucklebone Miniatures the signage said.
Inverkeithing Station , layout set in present time. Small scale. Station l pass through regularly or change at.
Heartbeat country again. I recall getting off the train with Jan and the girls here on a tremendously hot summer day about twenty years ago.
All in all an interesting visit. Afterwards a vintage bus took me to the lower station in Falkirk and l got the train home to Dunfermline via Waverley. A grand day out.


12 comments:

  1. Looks an inspiring visit, even if the exhibitors were not very chatty (but some wargames shows are like that). I hope you spotted a tiny miniature version of yourself on Inverkeithing Station.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just spotted the hidden dinosaur or sea / river monster on the real water waterfall railway ... below the rope bridge, behind the heron.

      Delete
    2. It was indeed. I quite agree re Wargames Shows, many are indeed like that. Perhaps train folk have more to think about whilst running their trains an£ tinkering with them.
      How did you know re Inverkeithing Station? I did see a small figure that could have been me grumpily lamenting the late arrival of my connection. :)
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete
  2. P.S l neglected to mention you are given a programme at the door with a few sentences about each layout and a list of traders too. Might be helpful at Wargames shows too.
    I do like the whimsical vignettes like the river monster. Really engages the audience of all ages.
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some really beautiful terrain and scenery on display here - well worth the visit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A pity about lack of engagement at shows. Whether running participation wargamesgames or exhibiting model railway layouts I've always tried to ensure that someone is free to chat, its an important part of being there. When I started railway modelling I asked lots of questions of exhibitors and received much helpful advice. Smaller shows can be better for that sort of engagement as they are often quieter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A nice selection of layouts and some nice modelling. The WW2 german layout (first pic) interesting ... a good setting for a game ?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like it was a great show! We have a local model railway show taking place in early December less than half-a-mile from my house and I intended to go.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  7. Model railways - my other hobby. Looks like a nice show in spite of the lack of interaction.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here in Norway wargaming shows are not very common, but luckily we have some model railway exhibitions (and I've been to a couple of them this year), so I can't really compare those 2 venues.

    It looks like a great show you've been to. As a military modeller I really liked the German WWII layout. Is there a couple of 'Beute Panzers' behind that farm. Perhaps Otto Skorenzy's men??
    But I also liked the Goathland layout as there is a place I've been. -Just like Falkirk.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing your expertise in a relatable and accessible manner.

    ReplyDelete