Sunday 21 April 2024

Diverse matters

 

I recently started another art history course ( weekly for two hours) which this time is on The Age of Giotto. One of the extra joys is the excuse to pop into a small walled garden off the Royal Mile. Here it is the garden showing a little of the layout. See here for more.https://hiddenscotland.co/dunbars-close/

Secondly l have noticed the upsurge of stickers left by visiting football supporters around and about. They are often highly coloured as well as designed well , sometimes being amusing too. I find the phenomenon fascinating.

I found this photo on line of an old Edinburgh station, now defunct. I thought some of my readers might enjoy seeing it.
Finally a little work in progress-

A small Carolingian force, knights, officers on barded horses and spearmen to oppose P’s Arab Conquest force he is working on. I need five archers to complete it which I will pick up at some point soon. Figures are Essex infantry and Old Glory cavalry.


10 comments:

  1. The carolingeans are looking good with those bold shield colours especially the purple.
    Stephen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They should serve well l hope…
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete
  2. I used to visit Dunbar close on a regular basis. Great place for a quiet lunch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Small world, it certainly is.
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete
    2. I worked for a while in Macs Models so it was right on doorstep. I think it was called the Edinburgh mushroom garden then.

      Delete
  3. Interesting how those Hansa Rostock stickers arrived in Edinburgh. They’ve not been involved in European competitions, so either arrived in the Summer with a friendly game, or were placed by tourists or ‘exiles’. Don’t think there have been any international matches between Germany and Scotland.
    These stickers as ‘calling cards’ have been around for quite a number of years. I remember seeing some me in Eastleigh(!) after a game in 2015, away from the usual spots (football stadia, pub and station toilets).
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments. There are quite a few St Pauli ones locally now as they came over for a game , probably last summer.
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete
  4. Much like the best conversations, your recent posts include a lot else besides simply a discussion of the hubby. Bravo! The art course sounds very interesting. When did the Colinton station close? I've become fascinated by old rail stations no longer in use, or long gone for one reason or another. Did it fall victim to the rail budgetary reforms of the 1960s, the Beeching Cuts, or earlier than that?

    Kind Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Station closed ‘49 , line ‘67. Beeching I fear. I am glad you enjoyed the non wargaming material too. Would a Duchy of Stollen model railway project be on the cards one day?
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete
  5. Such a beautiful and informative blogs, I want to share with you all on this blog on how I received finance support from a reputable loan company via cf-loans@outlook and whatsapp +393510140339, I contacted them when I came across these contact online when a lady from mexico were giving a testimony about a loan finance then I decided to give a try that when I get my loan to expand my business at the rate of 2% ROI repayment. I'm so happy that I decided to share with anyone here looking for an affordable loan to reach out for this great opportunity. thank you blog admin.
    I hope my short life story changes someone's life out there.

    ReplyDelete