Sunday 18 August 2024

BIG

 I’ve been following with interest a chap who uses 60mm figures and Lion Rampant rules. His are mainly Bronze Age and include some splendid Sumerian battle carts in that scale. I went as far a contacting the resin  printing company for a quote but came to my senses and resisted. I just didn’t “ need “ to buy into this, exciting though it was. Yet the itch remained. Big figures, Rampant family rules, smaller number of figures. So yesterday morning I decided to have a wee play about with my War of 1812/Expeditionary Figures. I bought some , painted some and ran out of enthusiasm, this was some time ago. So to cut a long story short l got them out, popped them on the dining room table, found the appropriate rules and cut up some card, just to get a feel for what it could, might look like as a game…

The figures got out of their boxes and the rules found…
Snip, snip and some sample card bases were created . The three man unit is for skirmishers and the other for natives and line infantry.


I felt the project has potential. Decent bases, big Lemax trees and a scatter of twigs and stones on the table and we are away. Don’t know if I will proceed with this now but it definitely has potential, scratches an itch and saved me adding to the lead/ plastic pile . What’s not to like?


7 comments:

  1. The figures are getting bigger and bigger... let's hope you don't spot shop mannequins on eBay and decide to go 1:1 scale!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually wargame with 54mm or 60mm figures, My average games with these include about 200 figures a side. I have played games with a thousand or more figures a side mainly with multiple players a side. When units of 24 for infantry and 12 for cavalry are placed on movement boards it is not as onerous to move them as you would think. Some people don't even physically remove casualties but have a record keeping device on the board.

    I play on table-sized or larger tables and sometimes in the garden. My tables are permanently set up in my wargame rooms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes it can take troops a while to find their place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shiny figures - it must be a winner. Keep going.
    Stephen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Found scenery, logs and stones, native indians versus troops and shiny big figures … just like the appeal of Featherstone’s Close Wars appendix rules but with your rules of choice … and shiny 54mm+ skirmish Figures. All sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm. I am torn between Sharp Practice and R&P. I haven't bought the latter and I've only done a few games of the former, but both have a certain appeal. And doing it in 54mm... Hmmm...if I could get someone to 3D print some proper French Marines and British Provincials...

    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful figures! You painted them beautifully. Did I read correctly that you have more to paint? You really should, you know...! :)
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete