Sunday 4 August 2024

Claymore

 Friday was a day of sorting out things on the telephone and by email followed by go out with the family ( https://bonnieandwildmarket.com/) for a meal to celebrate daughter number three’s birthday. We had a lovely evening and most importantly it rounded off a most enjoyable day for her.

Saturday dawned with reasonable weather and the promise of it ending with a bbq with friends, a long running post Claymore tradition. Regardless of weather the bbq goes on. We have bbqd  in the rain with me holding a brolly over it, for example.This year was some of the best weather for ages.  Anyway l am getting away from myself . Some pictures of the show-

Incredible ship anchoring one end of quite an outstanding table.
Infantry march in column on the aforementioned table.
Fantastic fortifications and vignettes abound across the table, much to look at.
Figures wading out of the sea to the shore, a nice touch. I had not seen it done with mounted before.
Exuberant scene, full of lovely details, well worth taking time to see.
The folk putting on the game and a final picture below. Wow!

A lovely Rapid Fire Reloaded game with great terrain and figures.
And again, lovely buildings.
And again…
Battle of Hampton Roads.
WW1 1914 in an interesting and innovative manner.
Midgard Rules demo game. I await their publication with interest.
A borders reiver game with super figures and terrain.
Carlist Wars in 28 mm , fascinating colourful uniforms on display.
It was good to speak to folk putting on the games and bump into friends old and new. My purchases- a packet of 60x 40 mm bases, a packet of dials to keep casualty tracking and a van for the vbcw. 
Finally a huge thank you to a reader of this blog who brought over to the show some cataphracts for my Palmyran army. Great new recruits and great to meet you too!



25 comments:

  1. Nice one Alan. I am going to assume the Reivers game was Flags of War?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was indeed.
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a great show!
    Nice photos. Thank you for sharing!!
    I'm impressed by the scenery and terrain standard on some of these gaming boards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure. Some boards were splendid.
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete
  4. Good photos Alan. I think the WW1 game was Pete Foggin and the Tyneside wargames club....
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and for the id on the ww1 game.
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete
  5. Many thanks for the post Alan. I have followed your blog for some years now. It was great to get such a positive reaction to my Seven years war game. It previously won best of show at Partizan, but I wanted to display it here in Scotland as a tribute to my good friend and fellow gamer, Stuart Insch, who died earlier this year. It was a lot of work to get down from Forres and set it all up, but well worth it. I think for my next demo game I will make things simpler and use cloth.
    Regards
    Graham H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your game looks brilliant Graham. A lot of imagination and work!

      Delete
    2. That is a wonderful looking game. I wish I had seen it in person. Was saddened to hear of Stuart's passing. I only met him a few times but was inspired by his projects and his enthusiasm.

      Delete
    3. I had talked to Stuart at past shows about the game he had put on and bought his book from him. I enjoyed his conversation very much. Your game was an amazing tribute.
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete
  6. Great games on show, some superb tables and figures, one of these year I will make it down form the north!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must come down, soon…
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the look in. A lot of work, imagination and spirit went into those displays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, there certainly was.
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete
  8. Looks great. I thinkni was last at Claymore in the early/mid 80s where the uni club put on a Falklands demo game which was a bit controversial as it was all a bit too fresh in people's minds

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was that in Adam House ? I put on a game around that time with Edinburgh Uni club of El Caney 1898 in 15mm with Freikorps figures.
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Delighted!
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete
  10. Just read about this on Balkan Dave's site. A great looking show. The WW1 strategy game is interesting - different for a table top, and similar to the WAS campaigns I did.
    The weather was kind on you for the BBQ!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will pop over for a shufti.
      Weather held up well. We have proceeded in fleeces in the past , none needed this year.
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete
  11. Some fantastic looking games on show there, particularly Grahams, of course, but many of the others look of a similar quality - the scenery for the Border Reivers game is stunning too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grahams game was splendid and l did like the small diorama nature of the Reivers game.
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete
  12. Thanks for pictures and report. Agree with all you say.
    If I recall, the Rapid Fire Reloaded game was with 20mm figures, which was interesting to see instead of the usual 28mm that dominates games these days.
    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  13. My pleasure.
    Rapid Fire game was 20mm. To me , of the Airfix generation, WW2 is 20mm whereas VBCW is 28mm . Creatures of habit we are.
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete