Saturday 3 August 2024

That was the week that was

 This week has seen a busy time here in the Duchy. A regular annual boiler service ended with it being condemned as dangerous. At least it wasn’t winter l thought as I was without it over last weekend. It was replaced on Tuesday. Thursday saw the end of a protracted , stressful three month selling of my late mother’s flat. She moved in 1986 months after my father’s death. It had given him comfort to see the plans of where my mother would live ( our family bungalow wasn’t suitable for her alone) before he died and get her name down for the flat. Although l never lived in the flat as my home it had seen me stay at times and also was a place  where my children visited their grandma. Although full of memories it was time for it to go…

The view from the flat. It had brought her consolation when she was mostly housebound. She enjoyed seeing the world go by. She was most patient.
In Edinburgh l past my late father’s office. Many memories of my youth.
The moment had come, the keys were handed in and an era passed.


The beautiful art deco interior where l had to go to sign some paper work.



The Palmyrans were finished finally and found their new home in some box files. As a wee project l started to rebase , repair and possibly repaint some Picts with telegraph poles-
Finally a parcel arrived from Man of Tin, filled with… well more of that later.


6 comments:

  1. With sad duties to perform, it's great to get back home to a hobby you love. Enjoy the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A sad time to have to pack up and say farewell to places that bring back good memories but the memories remain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always sad to close these chapters.
    Thanks for sharing the pictures. That window is spectacular.
    Chris/Nundanket

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a stunning bit of art deco architecture. Sad you came across it in such circumstances.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Time marches on, as they say.
    Nice view from the flat!
    The "Picts with telegraph poles" made me chuckle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some very nice images of Edinburgh there - the picture of your dad's office reminds me of where some old family friends of my fathers lived, in Gayfield Square.

    ReplyDelete