Tuesday 17 March 2020

Albion’s neighbours - The Kingdom of Sweden

Across the sea to the East is the Kingdom of Sweden. Here are some Swedish troops in their 1906 test uniform-



Two infantry on manoeuvre in a built up area.


One of the  original concept drawings prepared at the time.

Eleven years ago I got an interesting book called “Report on Foreign Manoeuvres in 1912” which is filled with insights and comments on different armies as observed that year.


The above is the cover.It contains some fascinating glimpses of the time as evident in the pages below. Click on the photos to enlarge them for easier reading-

Note interesting section on the German civilian from the company who was the only one who could operate the equipment.


Fascinating comments on the role of cavalry,cyclists and an evaluation of the horsemanship of the officers.







6 comments:

  1. Interesting looking book Tradgardmastare. I like what you've done with the figures - are they 54mm?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are 54mms and commissioned from Irregular Miniatures by me. They offer a very efficient and helpful service. I have merely painted them and mounted them on a washer .

      Delete
    2. That's great, I'd assumed you'd converted some figures. I like the idea of mounted skirmishers and a cyclist company. Nice project.

      Delete
    3. I would recommend the book as it is full of interesting details and potential modelling inspiration. It was relatively cheap when I bought my copy.

      Delete
  2. Handsome test uniforms! The books sounds very interesting too.

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do like the way the Swedes paid homage to their military past ( Karl Xll) by using tricorns in the 20th century. The test uniform is impressive indeed.

    ReplyDelete