Tuesday 31 March 2020

Battle! Practical Wargaming in 54mm ...



I go back quite often to this classic of wargaming.It was first serialised in Mecano Magazine prior to being made into a book. As many of you know the book did not originally print all of the articles, I have never been quite sure why. Perhaps someone in the collective Blogsphere can answer this, I would be interested to know. Anyway l was looking at the printed off copy I have of the magazine articles and was reminded of the author’s suggested idea to play outdoors with 54mm 1/32 figures. I decided to organise some of my toy soldiers in similar fashion to the way it was done in the book-
Here are my Homeguard (with accompanying Boy Scouts troop as runners,messengers and scouts) with their Bren carrier suitably on parade. The weather is a tad cold for outdoor games but I am keen to try the rules with 54mm figures indoors. I will let you know how I get on.



6 comments:

  1. "They do not like it up em, you know!" I look forward to seeing how this works out and wish you good weather for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I am waiting for the sun to be around a tad more, indoors till then.

      Delete
  2. Fine looking force Tradgardmastare. The Battle articles were wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting. I like the look of the games but I always got the impression that they would take longer to set up than to play.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find that they go reasonably briskly but enjoyably. I like the look and I recall finding it fun to make the various pieces of kit like the stick with the protractor at the end etc.

      Delete