Monday 27 April 2020

Model Villages

I have always liked model villages. There are some black and white photos of me in one as a boy and later some cine film ( now on dvd) of a sixties or seventies trip on holiday to visit one. I think it is Bourton on the Water as my parents were keen on the village. The footage shows the village church l think with a wedding going on and a general look around. I was delighted by this recent purchase-

It is a most enjoyable read,just the thing for lockdown. It reminds me of those splendid Shire books which seem to cover everything under the sun ( I have ones on garden gnomes, Georgian garden buildings  for example) and serve as an excellent introduction . The model village book has led to some enjoyable time ferreting about on the internet. I would recommend this to you for some distracting and diverting reading.

9 comments:

  1. Looks like a nice read Tradgardmastare.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Model Villages are fascinating- there is one at Canberra- our Nations Capitol- I think it is called 'Cockington Green'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall have a look online, thanks for the mention of it.

      Delete
  3. Have you seen this one
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Model-Towns-Villages-Britain-Weathers/dp/0995581401/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=model+towns+and+villages+brian+salter&qid=1587977644&sr=8-1

    I bought mine at Godshill on the Isle of White for £12ish. It's really good and you might be able to buy it direct from there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks a great read, second hand on Amazon for £30 and can’t seem to get into Godshill webpage in order to buy. Definitely one for the wish list.

      Delete
  4. I find model villages fascinating but I have been banned by my wife from recreating one in our garden...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not even one at the bottom of the garden out of sight behind the shed?

      Delete
    2. Sadly another shed is going behind the current shed to hold all the Dorset Soldiers stock...

      Delete