Sunday 19 April 2020

Unboxing a lucky bag

I always enjoy the mixed bag,broken figures lots on eBay. A look see what is there and time to spend thinking what you might use them for.  An important thing for me is also seeing a number of figures that make it worth a bid. One or two or more that you have been looking for for that project.
This was the lot that awaited my intervention, filled with potentially. Here’s the first sorted groups
  


The main attraction was the number of 54mm German paratroopers which would fit into my Homeguard game. Just enough to provide  a suitable opposition. Airfix I imagine as are the German infantry in the middle row, always useful to have a few in the plastic pile. The bottom row has some medievals for my ongoing collection to use with plastic knights and a few recruits for the Maple Leaf games. The fellow with the bow is a figure I have never seen before.

A better view of the mixed medievals including repairable Herald archers at a cheap price and some exotic Saracen looking fellows. A solitary metal 40mm Napoleonic is at the bottom along with an Australian. On the right are useful Guards and Lifeguards which will either serve as conversions or as  dismounted cavalry with the addition of a new rifle arm. Can’t have too men of these ceremonial figures in the plastic pile or spares box.

The final picture has a couple of Timpo figures.I  had quite a few as a boy but ,sadly to say, I wasn’t a big fan of the Cowboys,Mexicans etc. They were always the baddies who fought against the Britains who were the goodies. Above the Timpo figures are the other main attraction of the Lot the Herald infantry figures. I am getting some together to use in a very simple 50s/ 60s game where three figures     will represent a section or squad with heavy weapons represented by two figures and command by two also. I am still working out what each unit will represent entirely. A simple fun game to use these figures. I will mount them on coins were they have missing bases . So here we are at the end of my chatting through the contents. A few more battered Herald infantry are due to arrive.mI am wondering about converting a few very simply with heads in berets or without headgear but we will see. ..







17 comments:

  1. That is quiet assortment Alan - you must be a very patient person to be able to fix these types of figures for regular use in a game. Have fun there in Scotland. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy taking the unloved and battered figures and using them in games.

      Delete
  2. Its's always great fun to open a grab bag like that, the fellow with a bow is a Red Indian by Crescent, also made by them for Kellogs, if it doesn't have the name on the base then it's a Hong Kong copy, I always thought it looked more like an Aztec.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is a strange looking figure and I know what you mean re Aztec. I like Crescent figures and he just seemed less well designed. Nevertheless he will serve in the Maple Leaf games.

      Delete
  3. Yes the Red Indian was a series of figures that came in cornflakes boxes (?) , some good interesting figures there .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing Alan, this is like all the fun of the unpacking, sorting and discovery without any of the storage problem!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy posts such as this from others so just sharing the experience. Storage, now that is a word I find challenging unless it means slowly increasing lead and plastic encroachment across the house.

      Delete
  5. I feel so far away from lucky finds like this. You would not believe how barren the Pacific North West is for things like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My remoter area of the UK is much the same. This is the joy or curse of EBay - it has shut the old junk shops and jumbles but opened to the nation / world the scrapings and dust of everyone else's toyboxes. Result = Happiness?

      Delete
    2. I am surprised at what you are telling us and I must confess that eBay is so helpful. One door opened and one shut. Nevertheless I can now access other folks junk from the comfort of my home. My thing , back in the day, was second hand bookshop trawling for that much sought after book and the joy of coming across it.

      Delete
  6. Lots of good toys there - great purchase

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, fun and figures for a most reasonable price.

      Delete
  7. I have recurring dreams about finding such an assortment only in small scale metals.

    You’re right on the German paras and infantry being Airfix, or copies of them. The one in the middle of the second row (2nd photo) looks like a Britains though in the rectangular base.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had similar metal finds, especially with older minifigs. They are out there but in less quantities. I try to not spend ages on eBay but this lockdown can make it too tempting.

      Delete
  8. If only old metal figures were as cheap! Pricey doesn't cover it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is not a cheap hobby but there are reasonable or even bargains to be had sometimes, it is fun to look.

      Delete