Tuesday 14 April 2020

The portable wargaming box

“Here is a box, a wargaming box,filled up and ready to play...”


Open up the drawers ,take them out,sort the figures and terrain,fold out the playing surface and get playing.



First the snow covered terrain surrounded by forests,hills and the odd village. Below the standard green terrain with hills. Both can add terrain extras like trees and roads.

Here are both gaming boards and their box.
It was simple to make . Paste in a grid drawn on folding card,create a scenic back drop by painting on paper and stick it round the three sides of the box(the fourth side being cut at the side to fold down when the drawers are in use as a game. Eagle eyed readers may notice there is a third drawer to be used and converted to a scene. I am currently thinking of desert terrain with sand dunes round the edges, urban with buildings painted round the edges or even a seascape with blue sky and the odd island. What do you think and have you any suggestions? Finally a picture of the box as it began




23 comments:

  1. That's rather brilliant! Truly Portable..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No mess,Portable and transports you to another place ...

      Delete
  2. Great idea Tradgardmastare! I particularly like the two different seasons

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am quite chuffed by the result I have to say.

      Delete
  3. That really is rather neat! I would go for the desert option in the third drawer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Desert is currently what I am thinking but we shall see...

      Delete
  4. ... reminds me of a lecture on traffic safety I once got as a kid when in the boy scouts in the 70s. A police officer came by, he opened a suitcase, and suddenly there was a miniature town with cars and pedestrians and everything to illustrate the laws of traffic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A memory that has stayed with you, what a great idea.

      Delete
  5. " ... Ready to play ... Can you guess what is in it today?"
    Brilliant box file idea of instant gaming.
    Further Backscene ideas, https://peco-uk.com/search?q=Backscenes+
    Desert / Savannah grassland yes.
    or Jungle?
    Urban? Railhead? Coast?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now you have given me food for thought. I was thinking desert but we will see...
      I see you have had the same b&w television heritage to me.

      Delete
  6. Brilliant indeed! Portable wargaming in practice, and an ingenious use of the materials.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I still recall your waterfalls and other Soweiter League terrain with great affection.

      Delete
  7. Wonderful idea and extremely well executed sir!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now that is excellent... well done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That’s an outstanding idea! Truly portable. I suppose you could line the box with magnetic sheets first and use magnetic bases to stop the figures sliding about in transit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was so impressed with your idea that I’ve featured it on my blog.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like this idea and I can see a way of adapting it for my own use.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, that is a great concept for quick gaming.

    ReplyDelete