Monday 10 July 2023

The Craigshire Rifles

 I enjoy the arrival of the 009 Journal through the letterbox each month. It is always a good read. This month featured an article on Craig Castle , built in P D Hancock’s  wonderful imagirailway set in Craigshire , east of Edinburgh on the coast. 


This set me thinking about what military museum might be in Craig Castle …
I came up with the Craigshire Rifles, a famous Scottish Volunteer regiment which defended Scotland against invasion from her foes since Napoleonic times. So off to the work in progress figures and cobbled these together-
A motley crew yet full of potential once the R.S.M gets hold of them and they are uniformed, sorry painted. One recruit has broken his leg already, in other words l dropped him. Hope to sort him out in the coming days…


Yesterday ,after a day in Edinburgh ,saw me come home and go into the freezer for something to eat. I found it full of defrosted food! I then emptied it, binned to soggy mass of food and cleaned the freezer out.  No idea how it happened but seems to be working again overnight.


5 comments:

  1. As I recall Hancock used the Airfix Guards infantry and Guards band sets (my set of the former served in many a battle as elite infantry back in the day). Craigshire was a wonderful imagin-ations setting, a common thread to both railway modelling and wargaming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must look out for pictures with the Airfix Guards in them.
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 009 society? Are you also into 009 in addisjon to garden railways?
    I'm also found of narrow gauge modelling and are into smaller scale in addition to the garden railway. I don't have a 009 layout, but I'm currently working on a H0e layout, which is basically the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roger, l have been interested in model railways for years. I joined the 009 society about seven or so years ago. I have lots of ideas but have never built a layout- yet! There is a wee space that l am wondering about doing something with…
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete