Sunday 16 July 2023

Update

 Morning all. I have been busy since my last post . Normal life gets in the way of hobby matters at times not to mention black dog battling. Anyway things are progressing well on the plastic mountain front-

The ACW figures are patiently waiting for their bases to arrive and they are on hold until then. I have been sorting out flags for the fifteenth century French as well as collecting together sprues. My command elements are moving forward. One represents the King surrounded by his armoured Scots Guard archers whist the other is made up of three heavily armoured knights.
I have based the knights along with their followers for colour and variety. They fight under dbm rules as Kn (S) . On the bottom right hand of the screen you can see the Old Glory militia archers kindly given to me by Ronnie . They will represent Franc Archers on the table. These archers were given tax exemption in exchange for training and service. They had the reputation of not being particularly good. Under dbm they are Bw (I) and it was said at the time they were only able to kill chickens! For this reason I will put a model chicken on some of the bases.
Finally something different l have been working on-

Rocks from the garden glued on to mdf bases, fish off eBay also glued onto mdf and the “big fish” in the background is a cut down soy sauce plastic fish from a sushi set. Cut in half he works not too badly. I will reveal what this is about soon.
Finally my painting has been accompanied by the Civil War Podcast which is excellent and has guided me through the political and social background leading up to the ACW. Just reached the episodes on Fort Sumter. On television l have been enjoying the Tour de France coverage greatly. It has given me a yen to visit the Alps in summer again. I went there in my youth with my folks once or twice. Enthusiastically looking up holidays they do seem very expensive…


10 comments:

  1. Black dogs and gold fish - you need a ring master's hat. Colour me intrigued. I look forward too, to the photos of the units underway being completed in due course.
    Stephen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sat much of yesterday gluing flags and taking the infantry units forward. I feel l am on a bit of a roll so need to keep the momentum moving in the right direction…
      The gold fish will probably be tested this week…
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete
  2. Keeping busy keeps the schwarzhund at bay. I hope you get to return to the Alps one day - like you say, not cheap - but meanwhile you can practice your Wandervogelling - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=irInmv--DlE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kept busy yesterday and it helped a tad plus some walking too.
      Thanks for the music. My mother used to sing this around the house a lot when l was young but from a more modern version. I blame my semi Steiner nursery for much of my interests as it involved lots of moving about to stories of trolls, dwarfs etc. Explains a lot actually!
      Alps, one day…
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete
  3. Tradgardmastare,

    Good luck with seeing off the 'black dog'. He's been sniffing around me of late, but now that I am beginning top recover my wargaming mojo, he seems to have wandered off. I hope that this is what your will do.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Bob, glad he’s wandered off , hope he stays away for some considerable time.
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
  5. As another who has a problem with that black dog I certainly agree that keeping busy and exercise can help though the effort involved initially can be huge. I'm looking forward to our Zoom game this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to the game too. I try to keep busy and manage it without too much difficulty mostly. Our canine friend often surprises me at the most unexpected times but walking ( not too far and locally particularly) helps mostly. I am fortunate to have lots of interests and the Ducal Library is well appointed. The lead mountain alone would occupy infinite ages.
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete
  6. Stay well Alan. Perhaps Tradgardland needs a traditional enemy commanded by Baron von Schwartzhund who you can regularly thrash on the tabletop as a restorative solo game, just to keep him in check. Best rgds. Phil

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Phil. I do like the idea of Baron von Schwartzhund. To me he sounds a Von Trenck like figure whose band of pandours are known as “ Die Schwartz hundred” bringing mayhem, destruction and bad poetry wherever they go..
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete