The adventures of an 18th century imagination, located in Northern Europe formerly ruled over by joint rulers Duke Karl Frederick and Duchess Liv.Not to mention the American colony of Ny Tradgardland the 17th century Colony of New Tradgardstadt and the newly restored territory of the Shetland Isles.
Featuring a supporting bill of gaming in a diversity of times,places and scales.Hopefully something to interest all who pop by...
Monday, 7 September 2026
Reading and listening
Recommended reading and listening- Balkan Dave is speaking on this podcast.
I used to borrow this book a lot when at university.
Balan Dave is speaking about his book and warfare of the period here.
It certainly is. You can’t go wrong with Duffy generally. He has given lots of pleasure, not to mention information, to me over the years. Alan Tradgardland
I heard that episode of P&L when it came out. Fascinating listening. Tempting me to do an Ottoman army to confront my Austrians. The Wild Goose and the Eagle is a cracking read. Chris/Nundanket
Sounds like a fascinating project for the coming autumn and winter months.. I do hope you go with it as it is something l would enjoy watching taking shape. I have “rediscovered” the P&L podcasts and am really enjoying them. I find that there are almost too many podcasts l am interested in and combined with a newly rediscovered interest in football ( especially on the radio) sometimes there is too much to keep up with. Alan Tradgardland
Totally agree regarding Duffy—his military histories and detailed maps are second to none, and I still reference his books constantly. In fact, I'm actually re-reading The Wild Goose and the Eagle at the moment! It's my third time through—I'm a massive fan of his work, and it just never gets old.
Finding the right balance between podcasts, books, and everything else is a battle in itself! Sounds like you've got plenty of great listening lined up for the autumn.
Alan! I don't actually have a copy of that one on my shelves at the moment, but I'll definitely have to track down a copy to read once I finish The Wild Goose and the Eagle!
"Wild Goose and the Eagle" is a good one.
ReplyDeleteIt certainly is. You can’t go wrong with Duffy generally. He has given lots of pleasure, not to mention information, to me over the years.
DeleteAlan Tradgardland
I heard that episode of P&L when it came out. Fascinating listening. Tempting me to do an Ottoman army to confront my Austrians.
ReplyDeleteThe Wild Goose and the Eagle is a cracking read.
Chris/Nundanket
Sounds like a fascinating project for the coming autumn and winter months.. I do hope you go with it as it is something l would enjoy watching taking shape.
DeleteI have “rediscovered” the P&L podcasts and am really enjoying them. I find that there are almost too many podcasts l am interested in and combined with a newly rediscovered interest in football ( especially on the radio) sometimes there is too much to keep up with.
Alan Tradgardland
Totally agree regarding Duffy—his military histories and detailed maps are second to none, and I still reference his books constantly. In fact, I'm actually re-reading The Wild Goose and the Eagle at the moment! It's my third time through—I'm a massive fan of his work, and it just never gets old.
DeleteFinding the right balance between podcasts, books, and everything else is a battle in itself! Sounds like you've got plenty of great listening lined up for the autumn.
All the best, Andy
So true re balance. Duffy’s book on the ‘45 is well worth a read too btw.
ReplyDeleteAlan Tradgardland
Alan! I don't actually have a copy of that one on my shelves at the moment, but I'll definitely have to track down a copy to read once I finish The Wild Goose and the Eagle!
DeleteAll the best, Andy