Tuesday, 8 September 2026

The other model railway show photos

 Here are the other photos l took at the Edinburgh Model Railway show on Saturday-

This and the next few photos are from a layout called Colinton, an area of Edinburgh l know well and grew up less than a couple of miles from.

The building on the backdrop is an iconic one and one I have known since childhood, as is the bridge.
Colinton Station . The railway is no more sadly but you can walk along where it was as it is now a footpath.

I really liked the trams and other vehicles on this Edwardian layout.
Beautiful trains too.

The figure modelling was great and told  a story well.
One young man’s creation and splendid it was too.

Finally a continental layout with excellent scenery and this fine looking train?

This one sneaked on , bridge was super as was the weathering on the loco.
That’s it, trains over for the present.


21 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks. Not bad for an old chap and his old phone.😀
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete
  2. Very cool - trains and railways were never quite my thing but my dad loved them and he built a simple oval track layout for me to play with trains when I was very young - 4-8 ish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dad put an oval on a heavy board when l was wee. Neither my mother or I could lift it. I liked the military train with missiles that fired and helicopters who flew off. I came to appreciate model railways later in life., properly.
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete
  3. Great photos Alan. Lovely layouts. I really love those layouts that manages to capture old memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. It was great to see somewhere from my youth on the table.
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Absolutely!
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete
  5. Love that Tram and scene, very impressive!
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly one of my favourites that day.
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete
  6. Lovely modelling work there! Thanks for the pictures. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure. It is like immersing oneself in small world after small world. A visual delight.
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete
  7. Lovely modelling there. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Indeed. My pleasure.
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brilliant photos, Alan.

    While I don't have a model railway these days, I've been to quite a few shows over the years just for the scenery and modelling inspiration. It always reminds me of the OO gauge layout my father helped me build when I was young—very happy memories indeed!

    All the best, Andy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the photos. I have only started going to MR shows in the last ten years and like you l am inspired by the modelling on show.
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete
    2. Completely agree, Alan! It’s absolute genius what those modellers can achieve with a bit of static grass, plaster, and paint. Always a brilliant way to spark some fresh inspiration for scenic projects.

      All the best, Andy

      Delete
  10. Delightful: I can never get tired of railway models, thank you for the pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure. Each layout is its own unique world and l enjoy immersing myself in the detail.
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete
  11. I can post comments again. Huzzah!
    Thanks for sharing all these charming tiny details - and to have your memories of your childhood station modeled is quite special too. To know some of these routes as now “The railway is no more sadly but you can walk along where it was as it is now a footpath”. Maybe with my limited electrification skills I should stick to modeling the decaying infrastructure and slow rewilding of post Beeching axed branch-lines …

    ReplyDelete
  12. A very nice post and colinton is an excellent urban layout - not to congested so the trains look right at those long platforms

    ReplyDelete