Monday 15 January 2024

Year of the French

 2023 saw me completing my long planed but never completed later 15th Century French army. Ages ago I started it using metal figures, got so far with the painting and then sold it. However this time I completed the army. It  was something that gave me a great sense of achievement. Mainly composed of  Perry Plastics with some metal figures too , the army looks suitably spectacular on the table. They lost to the Burgundians in their first outing but a rematch is planned for the near future. As ever we will be using DBM . 

However I would like them to be part of my solo gaming too. So,it was off to the Ducal library yesterday and with the aid of a rickety library ladder I found the volume I had been looking for-

Much read and enjoyed over the years it is about time for it to be used. So finding the size for a unit, according to the author , for 28mm figures ( 120mm by 80mm in total area) l cut out pieces of paper to try and see how it would look on the table. I then added my French bases to it -
Firstly the archers. They come in two flavours - Ordonnance who are efficient troops and Franc Archers who had a very poor contemporary reputation. 
Secondly Towns people, mercenaries etc with pointy sticks and halberds. They are heavy infantry.
The artillery train , two bases locked the part together.
Finally the heavy armoured Ordonnance cavalry, with more banners than in a Ridley Scott movie!
These will serve well using Neil Thomas rules. Now a wee think about the opposition…


4 comments:

  1. You know, if you made the infantry footprint 120x60 and kept the cavalry at 120x80 you would be set for Impetvs too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting Jonathan. I used to play Basic Impetus at the local club over ten years ago, maybe longer. I liked the system, the bigger bases too, especially the look of them. I bought the rules and still have them .
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete
    2. This same basing works for To the Strongest too. Basic Impetvs is a regular on my table.

      Delete
  2. Warbases have sabot bases that would suit your purposes perfectly. Ideal for Basic Impetus or To the Strongest (Still play BI on occasion)

    ReplyDelete