Sunday 13 August 2023

The Maze game

 I bought “ The Game of the Maze” a while back with a view of gaming with it.  Here is the board as it comes-


I had been thinking of how best to proceed for a while and then Man of Tin posted this-

https://manoftinblogtwo.wordpress.com/2023/08/09/lone-warrior-solo-gaming-article-on-creatively-adapting-chess-boards-and-game-boards/

A most interesting post with a link to a Lone Warrior article in pdf form as part of it. So having been inspired l thought I would see how my ideas looked set up-

I added some Warbases hedges and trees to give height and added some topiary I had made ages ago from air drying modelling clay.
The statue in the centre is an old figure of Neptune on an old cotton reel , again something l had done before. The trapdoor , l can’t recall where I got it , hints at hidden passages below…
Figures in late 17th century clothing were added as gaming pieces or protagonists in this game.
I found my cheery faun figure and just had to add him to the fun…
Overall l am very pleased indeed with the look and hope to game things out later plus perhaps try out some further ideas…


7 comments:

  1. These look great with 3D hedge sections - and improve the original game. I look forward to seeing what games come out of this board, especially with satyrs and fawns around. In Harry Potter world the hedges or topiary animals would move randomly sometimes move to block paths. The old Darwin Evolution turtle maze at Edinburgh Zoo had this with on off garden water features. With all those deadly garden implements pictured lying around and hopefully a garden shed full of noxious chemicals I’m surprised there isn’t a garden version of Cluedo. Mark Man Of TIN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think your duellists (or assassin) idea is an interesting one, trying to catch up with or keep out of the way their opponent then on contact whatever Parry and Lunge duelling rules you need kick in. Wronged honour, revenge etc. The fuzzy original maze rules talk about winning by uniting two of your figures?

      Delete
    2. Gosh, that brings back memories of Zoo trips with the school. I had forgotten that maze. The Harry Potter stuff reminds me of -
      https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1219/labyrinth
      A very popular board game in this house with the family.
      Alan Tradgardland
      P.S food for thought here…

      Delete
  2. Plenty of whimsical fun to be had with this game Tradgardmastare

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whimsical Fun is the new Grimdark imho!
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete
  3. That looks great! The addition of the faun (or is it Old Nick?) is a piece of inspiration.
    Chris/Nundanket

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! He is a faun who has been whimsically appearing in my games for a long time now, Mr Tumnus with attitude and an unpredictable streak…
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete