Friday 24 November 2023

In Edinburgh

 Yesterday saw me in Edinburgh for a productive and enjoyable Christmas shopping day.

Got off at Haymarket and was moved as ever by the Hearts War Memorial-


This building is new on the Edinburgh skyline, it is beginning to grow on me…
Was off to see this film today but real life has intervened. Will go soon.
My bag of swag , a good shop accomplished and an enjoyable dérive too.
Feta and Fennel scone in a new cafe ( to me) I discovered on my travels.
Two ornithological pictures- the cafe above and these charming pigeon sculptures below.


6 comments:

  1. An enjoyable post. Thanks Alan! I never knew about the Hearts monument. Very moving story behind it.
    What is the new building? Looks a bit like a Liebsknd.
    Chris/Nundanket

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’d hoped you would find it interesting. It is a hotel, an apple shaped hotel.
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete
  2. Being a Hearts supporter, the whole story was told to me many years ago by my father, also a Hearts supporter, it is a very moving part of our history. Orient in the English league have similar tale and I do believe there is a friendly next year to commemorate 150 years since war broke out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting info re Orient.
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete
  3. My Great great uncle Peter Ferguson was in 16th Royal Scots. Was killed at Ypres.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One to remember with pride.
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete