Saturday 19 February 2022

Winter Olympics etc

 I have been really enjoying the Winter Olympics , especially the biathlon and the ice hockey. The other events are fascinating - the race thingy where four skiers race over bumps at the same time and the half pipe events. It reminded me of an idea I had to try and do a game based on the Norwegian Army ski troop competitions and training in the late 18th century/ early 19th century. These were all comer events ( with prizes competed for) involving skiing, running in skis and firing. I have the details in my books here. Anyway as the weather discouraged me from setting foot over the door I got some ideas on paper and had a go at converting a very cheap knight into a ski trooper.







11 comments:

  1. Alan;
    Now that sounds like an idea for a nice light hearted after dinner game amongst a small group of friends. Rather like the dinosaur or big game hunter games.

    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will be interested to see how this turns out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will too. It is still at the scribbled notes on paper, dice experiment phase if that.

      Delete
  3. I see the ski pole / pole arm conversion already.
    Coffee stirrers for skis, tissue paper hoods?
    Versatile figures those cheap plastic knights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are versatile indeed. I must remember to pick up a stirrer or six when lm out .

      Delete
  4. I notice the Duchy of Tradgardland did not send a team to the winter Olympics. When did it last compete?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will check the Ducal Library and get back to you…
      Probably in the Twenties, I think.

      Delete
  5. Apparently the biathlon was originally called Military Patrol. I've enjoyed a lot of the winter Olympics too... I don't always entirely understand some of the events but it's all good fun

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting fact Alastair, thanks for sharing that.. I didn’t understand some events too but a splendid spectacle never the less.

    ReplyDelete