Monday 11 April 2022

1838 , a little progress

 These splendid fellows arrived from Dorset Toy Soldiers recently. They have been assembled and prepared with an initial red added. At just under six pounds each they are not cheap but are splendid tin fellows . I picked up some bell topped shako cavalry heads at the same time. Need to think about potential conversions…

Meanwhile this blog’s American correspondent has been sourcing opposition figures in the form of Alamo defenders in plastic. They will form the core of  the Patriots/Hunters force. I have also been thinking about steam paddle steamers in a smaller scale( probably scratch built) to add naval support, conflict and transportation. Still not clear where I am going with that idea..




12 comments:

  1. How big would you want your steamer to be? If toy soldier roughly A4 length will do, my Tealight Ironclad card model might form a reasonable basis.
    https://easterngarrison.blogspot.com/p/tealight-ironclads.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most helpful link. I need to have a think now…

      Delete
  2. The Dorset Y=Toy Soldiers look lovely, I will look forward to your progress with them, I am very tempted into buying a few myself!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are lovely figures and most tempting to buy…

      Delete
  3. I've always fancied the bell-topped shako (memories of old Quality Atreet tins). Do you have a reference number for the figure and head? I really must get back to the military side of things soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quality Street tins, ah the memories. I kept my Lego in one throughout my childhood. Here is a link for the figures-
      https://imperialminiatures.co.uk/product-category/dorset-model-soldiers/castings-dorset-model-soldiers/1830s-marines/
      Looking forward to seeing what you have been doing hobby wise…

      Delete
  4. Alan;
    The figures have arrived. I expect HM Customs to have an enjoyable time sorting through my luggage.

    More anon.

    Eric

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m sure they are used to toy soldiers in luggage. Sadly being plastic they won’t show up in the scanning machine…

      Delete
  5. That is an interesting pink paint scheme in the background.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Duchy of Tradgardland figures in their Rose coloured uniforms. As you know it is the traditional colour in the Duchy since the eighteenth century.

      Delete
  6. There is an obscure Blandford colour book on uniforms 1815-1850 which these Quality Street shako troops are likely to be in ...
    https://soldierandlady.co.uk/british-tins-by-decade/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Used to have that Blandford years ago. Thanks for the tin link. I really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete