Thursday 28 April 2022

Saxons etc

 I have been binge watching The Last Kingdom recently. I didn’t really enjoy it much the first time round and never watched more than the first series. However now I am hooked and onto series four already. It has renewed my interest in the Anglo Saxons in particular. I have started rereading books in the Ducal library and adding to it in the shape of the Arman book. I’ve been going on the Regina Anglorum website and digging out the Ian Heath WRG old favourite. Imagine my delight when I saw some old school 25mm figures on EBay,just the thing for a small  dark age set up. The figures arrived weaponless as expected , so I have sent off for some swords spears and axes. Not a rivet counter project ( none of mine are , thankfully) I  sorted the figures out using the criteria mentioned in the photos ( click on them to enlarge) below-







Any comments on my sorting very welcome. I am always glad to hear the ideas of the readers of the blog.

Finally I looked at the splendid Bad Squiddo “ Lady of the Mercians” but felt she would tower over my old school 25mm. Some thinking later I have come up with a possible alternative, more anon …

6 comments:

  1. That is a nice wee haul of dark age figures, I like the old school look to them, they should look grand on the table. Not my period but always interested in seeing what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am most intrigued why I can’t comment except as Anonymous.Alan

      Delete
  2. Excellent haul. The top lot are Hinchliffe and I want to say some of the others are Vulcan miniatures? Good reading too... Steve Pollington and absolute legend when it come to AS studies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike. I was pleased with them. More additions to the Lead Pile. Alan

      Delete
  3. A nice collection - some of these would work nicely as Rohan foot soldiers - I always wished that MiniFigs had made Rohan foot and some Gondor Cavalry for the ME range!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That would have been terrific. I used use Minifigs for those purposes at one time.Alan

    ReplyDelete