Saturday 19 June 2021

An underrated series

 Been rummaging in the Ducal library and found these excellent Osprey sized history books . Excellent concise information and really evocative illustrations. I think they are out of print but well worth seeking out. 

The individual book I just finished reading is an excellent account of the Penicuik drawings which were made of the figures from the ‘45. The drawings are a fascinating mix of both Jacobites and their opponents. Really well worth a read if you are interested in the eighteenth Century.



 

2 comments:

  1. Those Making of Scotland books are good primers. I have three: The Sea Road; Saints and Sea-Kings; A Gathering of Eagles.
    If you would like them I would be happy to send them to you in exchange for the pleasure that your blog has given me over the last few years.
    I'm dropping Scotland (excepting Robt. Lowe's Lion Rampant trilogy) from my historical interests because I live very close to the Welsh Marches and I like to explore on my bicycles. I am too old for pedalling to Scotland!
    If you'd like them let me know (dclark531-AT-icloud-DOT-com) and I'd be pleased to send them. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most kind, thank you. I will be in touch very soon.

    ReplyDelete