Monday 28 June 2021

California dreaming on what passes for a summer day...

 One of the hobby highlights of the lockdowns was my research into the National Guard of the 1880s which led to some enjoyable modelling and converting 54mm toy soldiers. It led to many fascinating hours on California Military Museum online collections, interactions with fellow bloggers, reading the social history of the period not to mention the amazing array of uniforms. The collection grew and needs completing, it fought well against Canadians with British help. All most engaging. 

I have been wondering if my National Guard and accompanying regulars need a new battlefield challenge and I came up with Mexico! I know little about Mexican history or uniforms post conquistadors. It just seemed an excuse for some border clashes for my Californian National Guardsmen in some different terrain and climate. A wee hobby excursion to a warm place...

 
I had a small search for uniforms and found these which l thought had potential...
Any thoughts on this idea, figure suggestions, uniform information welcome as ever. I am interested in what you think of this idea.



8 comments:

  1. That's an interesting idea , the Mexican army can be very picturesque

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting. Steve Weston Toy Soldiers does some some useful 54mm Mexican peasants, mounted sombrero Mexicans and foot (alongside magnificent seven cowboys).
    Some usually on sale at eBay seller choppedmerc for example https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/163912604527?hash=item2629f3db6f:g:JxAAAOSwWR5drHcC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestions I will look into this today.

      Delete
  3. I don't know about California, but Oregon is plenty warm currently (high around 112-114 degrees F yesterday and today).

    The Magnificent Seven (original 60s version) is a great movie, and could make for a good wargaming scenario for just about any era/genre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oregon sounds hot!
      Good scenario suggestion.

      Delete
  4. If those Mexican pics are 1880s it looks like they did not change a great deal from the 1860s at the time of the Mexican Adventure. They look a the Republican forces from then. ACW figures would provide a base for conversions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agree acw figures. I can get late 1880s pictures and earlier ones but nothing in between. I however will not let that stop me.

    ReplyDelete