Thursday 4 November 2021

Sitrep

 I thought l would post a wee sitrep regarding things here. Firstly l have succumbed to another coldy/fluey thing and had to cancel both social and volunteering events in my diary. I seem to go from cold event to cold event with hardly a pause…

Hobby wise things are apace. I have long wanted to do an opponent for my friend’s Burgundian Army of Charles the Bold. By long I mean years and years. The lure of the late fifteenth century calls Siren like. So l have bit the bullet and begun the French. The army will be formed of 99% Perry Plastic figures. The boxes are on their way currently. I have been very pleased with the way my light cavalry have turned out . The plan is to complete this army by Candlemas 2022 or 2/2/22 or before. Polystyrene cement has really helped although l find it hard to keep the fine metal needle unblocked.

On other fronts l have had the chance to buy second hand a gaming mat of 4 inch hexes thirteen by nine. This will be used with gridded games like the Portable Wargame and Tabletop Battles. It will work with both my 25mm stuff and my 54mm and allow bigger games to be set up on the dining room table. My Jacobite figures will arrive from the painter next week and will be based on felt & mdf as before. I have also got some 54mm syw/imagination figures on order. More on these anon. 

Finally l have bought into the Silver Bayonet -


As the wars of Napoleon ravage Europe, chaos and fear reign and the darkness that once clung to the shadows has been emboldened. Supernatural creatures – vampires, werewolves, ghouls, and worse take advantage of the havoc, striking out at isolated farms, villages, and even military units. Whether they are pursuing some master plan or simply revelling in their newfound freedom is unknown. Most people dismiss reports of these slaughters as the rantings of madmen or the lies of deserters, but a few know better...

The Silver Bayonet is a skirmish wargame of gothic horror set during the Napoleonic Wars. Each player forms an elite band of monster hunters drawn from the ranks of one of the great powers. Riflemen, swordsmen, and engineers fight side-by-side with mystics, occultists, and even those few supernatural creatures that can be controlled or reasoned with enough to make common cause. The game can be played solo, co-operatively, or competitively, with players progressing through a series of interlinked adventures with their soldiers gaining experience and suffering grievous wounds, and their units triumphing... or falling in the face of the shadows. It is a game of action and adventure, where musket and sabre meet tooth and claw.



32 comments:

  1. You’ve a lot going on! Looking forward to seeing your 15th C French make an appearance on the blog.

    The mat will be useful. You could also use it for C&C derived games, like Max Foy’s ‘Ramekin’ series. I think the standard grid is 13x9.

    As for the Silver Bayonet, it must all go back to the Ogre Napoleon surely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get yourself some Tamiya polystyrene cement in a jar with brush applicator. It comes in a normal and thin versions (for seeping into thin cracks). I've had all sorts of problems; used to use Revell but the applicator always blocks and the jars are unstable. I've spilt some heavy duty cement (cannot recall name MK something?) Due to the top heavy jar which melted my cutting board.
    Discovered Tamiya by accident but now wouldn't use anything else. Shop around as price varies.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Polystyrene cement has really helped although l find it hard to keep the fine metal needle unblocked."
    A 'bristle' from a cheap wire brush fits in the tube to clear blockage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to read about the fluey thing. The Silver Bayonet sounds exciting and new to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, l am really looking forward to it. Hopefully it will arrive next week.

      Delete
  5. Interested myself in 'silver bayonets' and await to see some battle reports appear in the wargaming press etc .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good tip regards upsetting glue jars, is to fix it into a Spartan lid or similar, and pour plaster or plastics around it. When empty, just decent a fresh and into the old one.Sure from metal brush works on blocked tubes, blowing thru works but sometimes you get blowback.Plasticine not plastics.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope that you're feeling better soon Alan. The Silver Bayonet sounds like a lot of fun and should help to take your mind off of the coldy/fluey thing until you're back to 100%!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The anticipation of it has distracted me a bit.

      Delete
  8. Sorry to hear about the colds, they do get tiresome. At least you have some distractions :) Hope we get to see some of your new French.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sounds like a fine series of projects to while away the time whilst healing up. Sorry to hear about your nagging health. Hope you recover soon. I'm interested in your new battle mat that's for sure. Take care.

    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like you have lots on the go there! Re the blocked pipe, I found I could pull a single bristle out of our stiff broom and wearing strong glasses, use it like a pull through to clear any blockages!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. LOL...Just read Nobby's reply above, so my advice is probably superfluous!

      Delete
    3. Thanks! Reminds me of my CCF pull through, hadn’t thought about it for years.

      Delete
  12. Sympathizing with the colds and praying for relief from the flu-to-flu fluke! I’m very excited to hear (and hopefully see!) more of the Perry Frenchmen. I might be getting some Perry English troops myself for Christmas…we shall see!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fascinating period the 15c and so many figures to choose from. Hope you are feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it is a fascinating time and full of interesting history not to mention figures.

      Delete
  14. Interesting talk through of Silver Bayonet here - best of luck with this!
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kc3Ne12JGlY

    A few decades too early for my Bronte sisters to get stuck in!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fascinating flip through. Nothing to stop your Bronte sisters having similar trouble…

    ReplyDelete
  16. Have ordered silver bayonet too, looking forward to it.
    By the way have you tried Echinacea? I swear by it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Colleagues at work used to swear by Echinacea too. I haven’t tried it . Thanks for reminding me of it. I need to be proactive.
    Hope you enjoy the Silver Bayonet too.

    ReplyDelete