Monday 2 October 2023

Gallery opening

 On Saturday l went with daughter number two to the opening morning of the Scottish Gallery at the National Gallery of Scotland in Edinburgh. They seemed to have been working on it for ages and I wondered if it would be worth it. It certainly has been well worth the wait. The combination of art familiar and art new to me is excellent, not to mention windows which frame the beauty of Edinburgh so well.




Probably my favourite painting, one I have known for over forty years. It is by John Duncan.

Wonderful windows letting in the light and framing the view.

Great coffee and cake in the Contini Espresso cafe upstairs in the old bit of the gallery.
Activities and entertainment was laid on with stilt walkers, jugglers and a chance to try your hand at art.
Well worth a visit if you are in the area.


4 comments:

  1. Looks well worth waiting for, red carpet treatment and all! I had a small print of the John Duncan painting when I was at college from an exhibition in London or Birmingham but you couldn’t see the detail of the clothing or symbolism very well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pre Covid I came up there to see an annual exhibition of JMW Turner watercolours. There was also a 'local' artists collective exhibiting and I got a lovely monochrome print of a cat from there. I like Edinburgh but the art scene in Glasgow seems 'livelier' in my experience. I do enjoy these non wargaming interludes :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks a fascinating place , well worth the wait .

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are very lucky to have such an accommodating daughter, smiling for the camera. If I tried that with my 24 years old, she would look the other way or cover her face, most likely! Mind you, she did permit me to take her to lunch at the Auckland Fish Market last week, so we are making progress!

    ReplyDelete