Friday 6 October 2023

John Ruddle

 So sad to read a few minutes ago about the death of  John Ruddle  here-

https://toysoldiercollecting.blogspot.com/2023/10/john-ruddle-1932-2023.html

My copy of “ Wargames World “ featuring lots of photos of John Ruddle’s garden is still poured over by me as l continue to be enthralled by the garden world John Ruddle created. He was inspiration to many of us who held him in awe. What he created inspired so many to work away at our own hobby adventures.

I somehow missed hearing of his death , I think . Not sure how . 

12 comments:

  1. I hadn't heard this news but remember the article.
    Stephen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How could one forget…
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete
  2. I remember those articles and have always loved those incredible pictures. The shiny figures and guns. The homemade forts and Ironclads. Absolutely wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely wonderful, indeed!
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete
  3. Thanks TGM for posting this. I didn't know, and was another who always loved the articles on John Ruddle's garden game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure!
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete
  4. Another of the Old Guard gone to join the great battalion.
    Chris/Nundanket

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another curious gaming mind gone, but not forgotten, although I thought he had already long passed. What an inspiring garden and year round game. At least his garden lives on in photographs and in our gaming minds.
    *** News was passed by wireless from my indoor troops to my outdoor 3 man (or 3 woman) patrols (at posts occupied out there all year round).
    *** Black arm bands will be worn on operational duties, drums muffled and flags lowered to half mast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true. I am thinking of popping some figures in the garden over the coming months as a wee, localised tribute…
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete
  6. There is an article in this months 'Toy Soldier Collector' magazine about his sad demise

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have ordered the magazine , awaiting its arrival with great anticipation..
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete