Tuesday 8 November 2022

The North

 Sunday saw me get a bus to Inverness (changed at Perth) for a funeral. The first part was Sunday with the main part on Monday. I returned by bus again afterwards arriving home early evening.

I taken with the somber, brooding beauty of the misty, rainy hills and then a rainbow heralding brilliant sunshine on Sunday. Monday was dreich indeed and it was quite surreal travelling back in the dark. There was a somber beauty too in funeral service.

I took some photos from the bus and on foot in Inverness, mainly for me to remember the atmosphere. Here they are anyway-












9 comments:

  1. Dreich is a great word Alan - bet you get a few people asking what it means! "Its gye dreich, min" was a common greeting in the Northeast when I was young - well, it generally was, even in summer! Haar is another weather-related word particular to Scotland I believe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great words, so rich .
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete
  2. I was thinking the same - it's a while since I had heard the term but it's quite the right one for what you experienced and photographed.
    Is there a song "Dark Loch Navar" [I may have misremembered the name or misspelt it as I've not heard the song since childhood] which conjures up the same feelings.
    Stephen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The song is I think “Dark Lochnagar”
      I do like the beauty of Scots and its descriptive power. When I taught we always did a Scots topic in January celebrating the language and sometimes the folklore too.
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops! Predictive text!
    Could have been worse.
    Could have been stoating.
    Ronnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Predictive text 😠
      Did see any stoats but lots of sheep and cattle..
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete
  5. I'm sorry for your loss. Years ago I took the train from Kyle to Inverness and their was a bleak beauty to much of the jouney and some really nice countryside around Inverness which is a very nice town. It was May and I remember being struck by how light it was in the early hours. Thanks for posting the lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Brian. Glad you liked the photos.
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete