Friday 9 February 2024

Duchy matters

 P visited today and we had a most enjoyable dark age game Vikings against Irish. We used our DBV rules tweaked by P. Less figures on the table gave a much better game. 

View of battlefield with P’s hand for scale and size of battle.
Irish slingers put up a valiant fight against Viking spearmen.

Viking archers firing at Irish blades . The archers killed the Irish unit leader leaving the unit demoralised.

In other news -

I couldn’t resist the above figures on EBay. They are Black tree and are full of character.Although a tad earlier than later 15th century I feel they will make a town guard unit full of character.
Crossfire arrived yesterday and l continue to be fascinated by the system. Hope to set up a wee trial game very shortly, probably on a two foot square board. 

Close up of the figures, lovely sculpts full of charm and a sense that they mean business!



10 comments:

  1. You've been busy! Nice figures. I've not heard of that make before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All P’s figures in this case. They are great figures but the second comment is correct ( in my personal experience) and I wouldn’t order from the manufacturer.
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete
  2. Nice sized game, and BTD figures look good - I know Jon Freitag has a few of these amongst his thousands of figures - all I know about them is a lot of negative feedback about the reliability of their service and deliveries....
    Cross Fire is a fantastic system - I would go as far as say its my favourire WW2 set and I suspect it could be tweaked for use in other eras too - the one real drawback (my gaming mate and I found) is that it only really works with two players. The activation sequence becomes very messy if there are multiple players on each side.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. Normally we use more figures on a bigger table but found that less figures on the smaller table gave a far more enjoyable game. I was surprised by this but not sure why.
    I will be using it solo probably so more than two players won’t be an issue. I am intrigued by other period variants. See here-
    https://balagan.info/period-specific-variants-of-crossfire
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice looking game Tradgardmastare - the Black Tree figures are great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are aren’t they, pity there is such a hassle buying them…
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete
  5. Are the Vikings and Irish yours or your friends?
    What's DBV? Is it a DBA variant?
    I enjoyed the game pictures.
    Stephen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My friends. I have Picts and Welsh but they had a day off. DBV is a set of skirmish rules by Phil Barker. They were / are free to download. They give an enjoyable skirmish game . My friend P has tweaked them and fleshed them out to make gaming with them tenable. Glad you like the pictures.
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete
  6. Alan, I think you will like Crossfire for a set of WW2 rules. I am using it for my 54mm collection and it's not bad. I have enough space in the backyard I can play out there if I want. The main thing is to have enough terrain to block Line of Sight.

    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am going to start with the two feet square learner scenarios and then maybe do a bigger dining room table 54mm game…
    I have taken on board the need for terrain.
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete