Wednesday 28 February 2024

Making plans for Nigel, sorry Tradgardland

 The Duke of Baylen asked what l was doing with it, ie the George Gush book so I thought it might be time to say a little.


Yesterday whilst volunteering l had a minute to myself and scribbled very simply on a handy post it. It was to remind me of my recent hobby musing. On returning home I popped the post it with my current reading. Just to add too or maybe not…

My recent game with Ronnie and subsequent rebasing has given the 1790 project impetus. Yes the rebasing is fiddly and l am getting stuck to metal and acrylic but the results are pleasing me and worth it. So as l glue l ponder and am beginning to see what may occur next. Being an imaginations project l have free rein what to do but I don’t want to not go completely wild. Sadly no armoured bears with bardiche axes, yet! 

The plan is use the Tradgardlanders to fight against external opposition and themselves. West Tradgardland is effectively Copenhagen in appearance but with Swedish uniforms for this period ( Tradgardland 1807 is almost identical to Denmark 1807 in uniform) as I am a sucker for the chocolate box look. North Tradgardland is effectively Norway allowing snow, ski troops and maybe the odd troll. East Tradgardland is what I am currently working on. As well as the 1790 troops l hope to add what I call a more traditional element to the force. This will be troop types from 17th century Muscovite forces. Probably Strelsi or town guard and maybe cavalry. I have always liked the vibe of renaissance Russia and want to add this as representative of a backward looking and traditional element in East Tradgardland society. I have read too much over the years, watched Andrey Rublev , liked the GW Kislev not to feel a strong desire to field Mother Russia in some form. I would also like to add the Russian syw artillery into the mix eventually. So currently working on some Lead Adventure civilians and the Assault Group Strelsi. The George Gush book was being consulted for uniform and flag details. 








13 comments:

  1. Thanks for the details. I like the TAG Streltsi and have three regiments. Have you gone for the long or the shorter coats?
    It remains a mystery to me how they coped with both firearm and the axe when it came to melee. The musket, unlike the axe, didn't have a sling or carrying strap so did they just drop it to use the axe two handed? How then did they recover their firearms after the donnybrook?
    It sounds like you will have a colourful encounter between these two forces. My TAG Russians mainly have to cope with the Swedes of Gustavus Adolphus and his successor generals.
    Stephen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went for the long coat, more eastern to my mind. I too have wondered how they managed with axe and musket…
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete
  2. Sounds like an interesting project Alan - look forward to watching your progress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, progress will be slow but going in the right direction.
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete
  3. Sounds like an eminently sensible plan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My thoughts exactly.
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete
  4. Tradgardmastare,

    This sounds like an eminently sensible plan and I look forward to watching its progress.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete
  5. Very interesting. Nice to mix it up with a completely different style of force. I see you have two classic books for inspiration. (Both trading for silly money nowadays!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris, I have a spare Gush if you are looking for one.

      Delete
    2. Indeed my thoughts re adding a difference to things.
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete
  6. As always, Alan, I find your plans and musings very interesting. Looking forward to seeing the rabbit holes you wander down on this one.

    Eric

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eric!
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete