Wednesday 11 September 2024

Dryads, Amazons and other matters

 My Amazons arrived and I must commend Eureka on their charming figures-


I am pleased with them, fascinated by the shields with half an arm on them ( never seen this before) but there is a slight issue. I had not expected them to be slot  base figures. So I am asking the collective mind for advice about how to attach such figures on to normal bases. I feel there must be an art to this…

In other matters I have been trying to locate dryads to my taste and it has proved to be a tad difficult. Most figures l have seen are either horrid, contorted creatures or rather, what will we say , buxom.  Neither extreme appeals. So after some time l found this figure on eBay-

I liked the photo and am pleased with the figure which arrived today.
Can anyone identify the figure and tell me the manufacturer?


10 comments:

  1. No clue about the Dryad but it is a very nice figure. The Amazons look to be very nice figures indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I think they are splendid and I look forward to painting them.
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete
  2. Alan,
    You used to be able to buy metal slot bases like normal figure bases, but I've only seen them second hand on eBay recently.
    Two options.
    Cut the figure off the slot and attach feet directly to a suitable base. Best reinforced with drilling a peg into the feet.
    Or, build up Milliput or green stuff either side of the slot on the figure. You may need to cut the slot down to reduce height. You could also use Fimo for this making a slot with figure in a blob which you remove before baking.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the helpful, practical advice.
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete
    2. I use Neal's first method. The metal slot is easy to remove then I file to leave the feet flat. Just superglue can work but it's much better to drill a hole in the base and foot and fit a wire.

      Delete
  3. You might like the Dryad available from Otherworld miniatures.

    Nolzur have a Dryad too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did like the Otherworld one but it appears unavailable. Hmm not quite certain about the Nolzur one, might grow on me. Thanks for your ideas.
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete
  4. I had this issue with these and Shadowforge figures, Alan....I did not resolve it at the time, but some months later a friend suggested using matchsticks, one on each side of the metal "bar", glued in place to create a stable enough "base" to then attach the figure to card or mdf....you might have to use a polyfilla type product to build the base up a bit....not a problem for me, as I do that anyway....let me know if it works, by the time he suggested it, I had used a much more time consuming and fiddly method!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another useful and interesting piece of advice, thanks.
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice figures. You could use the Tidders method with transparent bases. I've not come across Nolzur - I'll go and have a look.
    Stephen

    ReplyDelete