Monday 20 July 2020

One hour wargames , Up the Blue etc

Yesterday I saw a presentation at the VWC of an AWI game in 28mm using the “One hour wargames “ rules. It got me thinking ( along with https://narrativesolowargames.blogspot.com/2020/01/take-high-ground.html and his splendid games using “Up the blue” variant of the Neil Thomas rules) of using the One Hour rules with my 54mm set up. So a game was set up, just to try things-
In the meantime the new recruits were training in mountainous terrain and are currently making their way along a narrow ledge somewhere in the mountains...


6 comments:

  1. The Winter table looks great! How did the game play with the variant rules?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to recreate forensically the Up the Blue rules from the posts on Solo Narrative Wargaming but it was very hard. Probably a silly idea with hindsight. I have contacted the Up the blue rules writer and will see if anything comes of it. In the meantime I will go back to using rules I know better like Portable Wargame or Ros’s or Featherstone Close Wars. I’m not feeling like complicated or even semi complicated rules currently. I really enjoy my Dba Fridays but the rules , albeit only eight pages long, are densely written and a little mind blowing for lockdown. It is, however, great to game against my regular opponents thereby virtually

      Delete
    2. Up the Blue, kindly allowed me to play test his OHW variant rules. Part of the reason for the blog entry was because I was recording all the events. I’m sure the writer will be agreeable to share his efforts.

      Delete
    3. I have emailed him yesterday.

      Delete
  2. The chaps on that narrow mountain ledge look very precarious, I do hope they won't be up there for long!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Alan - Your Winter setting looks just great! Have fun there in Scotland. Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete