Monday 26 December 2022

Basing and experimental basing

 Over the last few days l have moved the 1790 Tradgardland project forward a tad-

I based my first 48 figure unit and am very pleased how they look. I also based a light infantry unit with three figures per base rather than six. They depict open order skirmishers.
I also began an experiment to make melting snow bases by adding another layer of white felt on top of the green felt…
Here are the finished bases so far, I’m not entirely sure what I think. I added brown paint to represent mud.

Probably won’t try this again but I am reasonably pleased I gave it a go. Any thoughts? Comments most welcome. After a splendid Christmas Day meal  yesterday-
we are at home today, looking at our presents and having our own Christmas dinner later this afternoon. Enjoy your day whatever you are doing.



16 comments:

  1. Very interesting idea, I like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Good to see you here and as a follower now.
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete
  2. Very nice unit, and Merry christmas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and to you! I currently can’t leave comments on your blog but am enjoying reading it.
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete
  3. I like the basing very much. The new ones with the melted snow are great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that, I am glad other folk like it.
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete
  4. Is there a reason you wanted a melting snow effect....a particular Revolutionary War battle in mind or something similar?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The idea came to me, l thought I would give it a try. No other reason other than I felt like it.😂
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete
  5. Nice looking unit; and great to see some of those flags in action! :-)

    Cheers,

    David.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great flags indeed, I am so pleased to have finally got them on the table. They certainly brighten up my units very much indeed.
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete
  6. I like the idea of grass and mud showing through the snow, works well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, it is growing on me slowly…
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
  8. I’m going to break ranks and say I prefer the clean basing of snow felt to show off your figures best. It somehow makes them quite different and distinctive from everyone else’s grass and mud basing, more magical and toy like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you broke ranks and said what you thought. I intend to finish the unit but will probably return to the white felt with its simplicity of look and design.
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete
  9. The basing is great! I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, we did. Hope you did too.
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete