Thursday 9 March 2023

After Woking 3 or inspiration gained…

 Monday morning l went to the shed and easily found what I was looking for-

I picked up this ages ago , not knowing what to do with it at the time. It contains a wee pouch of dice and figures- goodies and baddies.Nicely wrapped in a box with tissue paper and postcard of the painted figures. Northumbria Tin Soldier produce really charming, quirky figures especially the night folk-


I’ve been listening to Sir Michael Hordern reading “ Wind in the Willows” a great deal recently and thoroughly enjoying it. That combined with the Nutwood figures at Woking and my great affection for the book has led me to see if there is a potential game to be created…
Firstly matters of scale-
The baddies (?) compared in scale with some Britain’s guardsmen. Looks fine to me.
The goodies (?) compared with another Britain’s figure for scale , positively l feel. Our hero/ anti hero Mr Toad looks fine size wise with a final 54mm figure.
I had feared the Riverbankers would be too small to use with 54mm vehicles, figures and scenery but I am pleasantly surprised. I don’t know where this is going but we shall see . Finally an inspiring Embleton illustration-

P.S been looking at plastic stoats, weasels and foxes, too big so far. Some wild weasels in metal ( 40mm) size might work, three for twelve pounds, any ideas welcome…







10 comments:

  1. I like that a lot, that is a cracking wee set, be very interested in seeing where this takes you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A cracking wee set , l too am excited to see where the river takes me…
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete
  2. They match the 54mm very well and are interesting fiues , I'm looking forward to seeing more of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was delighted how well they matched. Could be lots of fun ahead…
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete
  3. Interesting project. I hope you find the right size figures.
    There is the flip side view children’s book of Wind in the Willows by Jan Needle called Wildwood and the Willows series by William Horwood (his other books focus on Mole underground kingdoms).

    There are a number of “animal” figures from Oakbound Miniatures which are 28mm (bargain bag of badgers anyone?)
    and a Rules / Games series called Burrows and Badgers again 28mm? https://www.oathswornminiatures.co.uk/c/4555401/1/miniatures.html
    With buildings and accessories by Sarissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have Burrows and Badgers but tending towards a simpler rules approach. I must pick up the Jan Needle book soon and will have a look at Oakbound , though they might be a tad small. Could be good as a sort of horde?
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete
  4. Looking through made me remember the animated Wind in the Willows from a very long time ago. Good luck with the project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughters loved the animation films and I recall the Cosgrove Hall on tv with affection too. Thanks, I shall need it…
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete
  5. They're lively figures... I bought the same set a few years ago at Salute but once I'd painted them up I realised I probably wasn't going to ever use them so I sold them on (which I kind of regret now...)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The classic wargaming trope “ selling followed by regret” we all know so well. I wondered too if I would ever use the figures or they might just have remained on the lead mountain. I am glad I have found a use for them at last, they definitely deserve it!
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete