Friday 7 April 2023

What I’m reading in the Duchy…

 Just a quick update as to what I’m reading here in the Ducal Library-

Missed these somehow when they first came out . I thought the old Osprey titles on this subject were great but this is even better. So much fascinating details, highly recommended.

When I was at Ronnie’s yesterday he kindly let me look through his old wargames magazines and take what I wanted. I took those with Tolkien articles and also those with references to 54mm wargames.
The 54mm articles were as follows-
One article was about John Ruddle’s garden gaming, I can’t get enough of reading about his inspirational and ground breaking , totally immersive garden games experience.
The second magazine had a set of 54mm WW2 rules and an article about how they were used in a game, including an account of the game itself. Interesting rules probably a tad too complicated for me but interesting nonetheless.

Today saw me being in Edinburgh unexpectedly and I took the chance to visit the new bookshop opened beside the cathedral. Bought a couple of fascinating books -
Thomas Merton is a fascinating author and St Columba has been important to me ever since l volunteered ( many moons ago) on an archaeological dig on Iona concerned with the Columban Monastery. Hardest physical work I have ever done and I also recall the thrill of digging up something that had lain in the ground all those long centuries.


4 comments:

  1. You've got some very interesting reading matter there. What is the one with what looks like Gaelic on the cover?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s a book of prayers and information about St Columba. It is is both Gaelic and English. The stained glass is from St Margaret’s Chapel in Edinburgh Castle and is beautiful and delicate work.
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete
  2. Interesting reading variety, the John Ruddle garden article is a new one to me that I would like to see more of. Will it inspire your garden games?
    BTW what did you dig up on Iona that was so memorable?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dug up a simple hook used for domestic purposes. Reading John Ruddle is always inspiring for me but have no idea how it will pan out in my games. We shall see…
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete