Saturday 7 November 2020

How do you game the French Indian War?

  I am lucky, in these strange times, to have a weekly Zoom game with friends .Yesterday saw us again fighting in the Woods of North America with Provincals ,Rangers and their foes. Here are a couple of pics

I’ve been gaming it since the eighties when I remember the excitement of Bill Protz’s “Drums along the Mohawk “ rules arrived through the letterbox. Exciting too were the SYW society newsletter. I was moving houses a bit then so had it delivered to my mother’s house. I remember the excitement of visiting her and another issue was awaiting me.  
Recently we have been using Muskets and Tomahawks but have been increasing dissatisfied with the rules representing cover and spotting. They just don’t seem ok to us and are at the very core of gaming this period. I wondered what rules others are using?  Our wee group don’t seem to get Rebels & Patriots and are not sure of investing time to get used to it. Years ago I played “Ranger” by Pete Berry but don’t recall anything about it. So two questions for Saturday morning- what rules do you use and what of M&T handling of the terrain,cover and spotting? 


3 comments:

  1. They look like RAFM castings.
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are indeed and I have had them more years than I care to mention.

      Delete
  2. Having only recently comer to Rebels and Patriots, I do not recall any spotting rules. I am unfamiliar with M&T. how is spotting handled there? For FIW gaming, I use my own rules. Spotting is important in the woods of North America and ought to be included. My rules are straightforward in that concealed units may not be fired unless spotted first. Natives and irregulars are more proficient at spotting than regulars.

    ReplyDelete