Tuesday 27 April 2021

Rules etc

 Today was slightly odd. We went uptown for coffee, a browse in WH Smith’s, Waterstones, the Works etc. It felt good but odd doing this simple thing, normal yet not so. It was busier as it was the day things reopened in Scotland. Not really sure what I made of it...

In the afternoon I had a rake about at home for rules I could use with the Wofun TYW plexi flats. I found 1644 ( purchased 1994) and not played much. Not too sure they are tyw friendly. Might give them a go. Next set found were the ones published by Bayonet and written by N E Dickinson of Miniature Figurines. No date but rather old. Will have a look and a read later. Final thing found was a booklet All About War Games by Otto Schmidt . I can’t recall getting it, perhaps it came via Society of Daisy. Great intro to Wargaming and some very simple but interesting rules in it too. 






8 comments:

  1. Congratulations on getting out for a coffee and cake at last! I hope the browse was worth the wait. On my most recent trip to town (needed to put cheques in a bank) it was highly targeted, in, out and no time to touch anything unnecessary. No magazines. Not relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed the coffee and mushroom/ cheese toastier but nothing else really inspired me, even The Works didn’t come up trumps. I don’t like touching magazines or books I don’t intend, (seems bad form so to do) to buy so browsing is a limited experience really.

      Delete
  2. Mmmm ! cake ! , I remember those ECW Bayonet rules , had them but never played them .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The passion fruit cake looked lovely, maybe next time...

      Delete
  3. Alan;
    Remind me to tell you sometime of the first Weekend that Otto organized and ran. Bob Liebl was telling a proper story, no dramatic drawn out joke or pun, but nobody knew this. We thought it was one of Bob's whoppers. And there was Otto, egging us all on.

    It's a grand story.

    We didn't part on such good terms before he passed. I will always regret that. I consider it my penance to make friends in this hobby and share what I can when I can.

    It's good you have that booklet. It's the true spirit of like minded enthusiasts. Just having a giggle and a cuppa over a game of Soldiers.

    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  4. One day I hope to hear these stories face to face Eric as we push lead around together...

    ReplyDelete
  5. It will take a while to get things back to normal, and especially to feel comfortable doing it. Time is the great healer and hopefully that will remain true in this situation.

    ReplyDelete