Thursday 29 April 2021

Waiting and keeping busy

 Over the last few days we have waiting for news of a seriously ill elderly relative. I have been by the phone, texting and messaging as required as well as offering support to those around me. I felt the need to keep my hands busy as I talked, listened and waited. So l went to the lead mountain and extracted some semi flat figures to work on. Here are three I have painted in a very simple toy soldier shiny fashion. They are Landwher or Landstrum from a Europe that never knew Bismarck nor  unified German Lands. Where petty princedoms, kingdoms, bishoprics and Imperial Free Cities continued into the Twentieth Century and beyond. Here are photos of the figures and illustrations which inspired the painting. I have lots more on the go...








18 comments:

  1. Very evocative, and good to keep busy. I hope the news of your relative is as good as it can be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very fine recruits. Best wishes on your family matters,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks on both fronts. The figures had languished too long in the box.

      Delete
  3. Lovely models and painting. My best wishes for your relative.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are cracking looking figures and very nicely painted too! Some interesting material there. Hope it all comes good for your relative, best wishes sent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comments on the figures and best wishes.

      Delete
  5. Fine fellows well painted and great tree shadows. I have this Schneider type metal mould. Best wishes to your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark. Interesting you have the mould . I take them to be Russians but am not sure.

      Delete
  6. Nice figures , best wishes to your relative .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice and simple figures, they look great as the true toy soldiers that they are! Best wishes to your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true recthe figures and thanks for the best wishes.

      Delete
  8. Thank goodness for our steadfast ‘little friends’.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Where are the trees from? Interesting style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are Mdf crafting blanks . I got mine through Fairy Dust store on Amazon uk but there are lots of other sellers. I am sure you could source them where you are. They come in lots of different sizes and designs.

      Delete