Saturday 4 February 2023

Grenzers!

 I’ve always liked grenzers. I read Rothenberg’s “ Military border in Croatia “ from the Uni library as a student  and that increased my interest. They have cool uniforms, a bit of dash about them and interesting weapons  such as double barrelled muskets rifles and spear musket rests! What’s not to like?  So it is not surprising that I raised a unit for the 1790 vanity project, here are three stout fellows-


Who can resist the read cloaks , cool hats and muskett rest spears?

I have been wondering how much use the spiky rest would be in combat? Might deter cavalry perhaps but could be a liability ? I always imagine they threw them away  or “ forgot” to take them with them. Anyone tell me more or even supply me with a period quote about the use of spike musket rests in combat? 


7 comments:

  1. Very cool Grenzers - who makes these figures?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are Eureka miniatures, sourced from Eureka uk. They are from the French Revolution range.
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Said it all Tony!
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete
  3. Very nice, they are one of those iconic units, I have way more in the lead pile than I should have!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I assume the spiked poles were 'Schweinfedere' and used as a defence against cavalry. Think the Imperialist foot used them on campaign against the Turks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So a bonus against cavalry in melee, sounds a plan…
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete