Monday 13 February 2023

I am your father.

 I can sleep anywhere except in bed! I doze on public transport, in cars and in places of entertainment. The warmth has something to do with it plus the motion. 

Forty three years ago I went with friends to see “The Empire Strikes Back” at the cinema. I wasn’t a big Stsr Wars fan but went along anyway. Sleep engulfed me in the latter part of the film and I never heard the iconic words of this post’s title being uttered. I awoke to the credits and the excited chatter of chums!

Last night, forty three years later, l heard the iconic words and saw the end of the film. Disney + has a lot to offer. I have been working steadily through the spin off series and am now going through the films. I have a new appreciation for the films l saw in my youth as well as appreciating those new to me- I  see something in them l never saw in my youth.

It was nice to see Bobba Fett in the film last night as I only knew him from the mini series. The Star Wars universe is captivating me at present and I am enjoying it immensely. I just wonder why it has taken me all this time to get onboard?


16 comments:

  1. I find reading for half an hour in bed helps me sleep and leaving the Ipad downstairs !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A cunning plan, might try that…
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete
  2. Falling asleep in the cinema or while watching television was always one of Life's strange pleasures.
    Till I developed RLS!
    But Disney+ has lots of great non Disney type programs like the fabulous Big Sky.
    Ronnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. Disney+ has far more in it than one might expect, well worth a look at.
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete
  3. I can relate to that. Except I can fall asleep pretty easily in bed as well. 😆
    I’ve fallen asleep in the Festival Hall when a Russian bass was singing. I’ve nodded off in the same place to the Dream of Gerontius. And I’ve fallen asleep in the promenade area (ie no seats) at the Albert Hall (Marler). I used to catch up with sleep in the library cartels at university (big thick reference manuals were ideal pillows.
    Chris (Nundanket).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fell asleep once in a theater listening to Japanese kodo drummers. Not sure how...

      Delete
    2. Musical falling asleep is most impressive imho. I think cinemas are probably too loud these days to fall asleep in. I once dozed of in a small university seminar around a table , woke up startled to the amusing/ shocked gaze of peers and professor.
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete
  4. Do not underestimate the power of The Force. :)
    Tom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won’t!
      Just watched what happened to Darth Vader last night. It was news to me , actually l was rather moved by it.
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete
  5. Empire Strikes Back was the only Star Wars film I saw I the cinema (in Canada of all places). If you're working through SW on Disney+ definitely check out Andor... brilliant series

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Andor. The gritty world building plus splendid acting make it one to watch…
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete
  6. Congratulations on finally seeing it! Empire was long my favorite Star Wars film until Rogue One, which I admit to liking perhaps just a touch more. If you haven't watched the The Clone Wars (cartoon series), I find it possibly some of the best story telling in the Star Wars cannon (although I have yet to see Andor which I've heard great things about).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will look out for the Clone Wars. Andor is terrific.
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete
    2. I would add a vote for The Clone Wars. Ahsoka has become a favourite character through her adventures in CW and subsequent cameos. Her story alongside Anakin is very moving, and this year we'll hopefully get the full live action Ahsoka series.
      Tom

      Delete
  7. Its a great life skill, being able to get a few minutes sleep as and when required. I know, I am a master - and I have improved with age!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A Power Nap has really got me through at times, especially on public transport or in the staff room.
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete