Thursday 7 July 2022

John Bauer

 On Tuesday we were in the city and went to IKEA. It was a lovely bus journey to the edge of Edinburgh where the city meets the Pentlands. After an enjoyable lunch, yes it did include meatballs, we continued shopping. I was delighted to see a John Bauer illustration for sale-



My daughter bought it for her room being an elk fan. I was able to enthuse to her about the artist at length whilst waiting for the bus back. I do hope this IKEA item helps introduce a new generation to this wonderful artist.

A link to find more out about him-

http://www.johnbauersmuseum.nu/diverse/english.html


10 comments:

  1. Thanks. Was not aware of him before. The style is familiar though, so he must have been an influence on others.
    Chris/Nundanket

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, glad you liked it
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete
  2. In these parts, we call that creature a moose! They have been known to wander through the neighborhood from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds a tad scary !
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete
  3. Did not know anything about the artist. Most interesting! On the Elk/Moose I have seen them up close in the woods in Maine during hikes. Very big creatures indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found it interesting. I would love to see one in the wild one day.
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete
  4. I learned about this artist sometime during the last couple of years. I "think" it was in relation to some gaming materials, probably RPG, as an inspiration to the artists thereof. Might have been Vaesen or one of the other RPGS based on Nordic and/or British folklore. I'm sure he had some influence on later fantasy artists, possibly the likes of Brian Froud and others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pretty certain he influenced Froud. I can imagine Vasen being influenced at the very least.
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete
  5. Every days a school day they say and it's very true, I have never heard of this artist before so very interesting to say the least. A very sad end to his story as well, what a shame he died so young.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A sad end indeed. Glad you enjoyed the post.
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete